Charles Leigh Clare Nicholson
#160, (May 1872-1930)
|Father||Donald Nicholson (6 Jun 1834-24 May 1924)|
|Mother||Euphemia Scott Gibb (c 1839-25 May 1915)|
|Charts||Nicholson Family 2 - descendants|
Barbara Nicholson - ancestors
Descendents of Donald Nicholson
NOTE: The information on this page is my research to date and is subject to change as I become better informed. I very much welcome any corrections or additional info you might have - my email address is at the bottom of this page - Tim Hill.
Charles Leigh Clare Nicholson as a youth
+ + + + + + + + + +
(For a brief history and context on the Nicholson family see this page)
Charles was born in May 1872 at Chorlton-on-Medlock, Manchester.1,2,3 He was the son of Donald Nicholson and Euphemia Scott Gibb. Charles Leigh Clare Nicholson was baptized at Congregational church in June 1872 at Old Trafford, Lancashire.4 Charles may have been named for his father's employers, a company of merchants named Messrs. Chas. Leigh Clare and Co. Charles Leigh Clare himself was a prison reformer and judge.5,6
He presumably lived with his parents at Plumley, Cheshire, in June 1878.7
He was recorded as living with his parents, a servant and his siblings Donald, Angus, George and Lily in the 1881 census at Plumley Moor, Plumley, Cheshire. He was recorded as being 9 years old. Donald was actually his step-brother, the son of his father and his father's first wife.3 His occupation was recorded as being a scholar in the census.3
At the age of 11 Charles emmigrated from Glasgow on 3 November 1883 on the 'Loch Katrine' with his parents and three younger siblings. The ship was described as a 'Magnificent Iron Clipper Ship', and the Nicholsons travelled as second class passengers.8,2,9 Charles arrived at Melbourne on 4 February 1884 with his family. The voyage took a long 89 days. It is reported that the ship was popular, and the passengers had an agreeable time at sea.8,10,2
The Nicholsons were granted 90 acres of land at Tasmania on April 1884.11 He was a sharebroker and commission agent in 1906.12 He was the the manager of the Bischoff-Taylor Tin Prospecting Association, a company with a then capitalisation of £3,000 in July 1906 at Queenstown, Tasmania.13
He married Louise Augusta Fooks, daughter of Henry Samuel Cox Fooks and Jane Maria Murray, in a Church of England ceremony at St. Martin's Church on Sunday, 8 December 1907 at Queenstown, Tasmania. He was 35 and his wife Louise was 27. Witnesses to the wedding were Donald Nicholson, Lily Euphemia Eveline Nicholson and Albert Henry Fooks.1 At this time his occupation was given as a miner.14 Charles lived in December 1907 at Queenstown, Tasmania.15 Charles, aged 37 and Louise Augusta Fooks, aged 29 became the parents of Hubert Nicholson on Thursday, 16 December 1909 at Queenstown, Tasmania.1 The Nicholson family posed for a photograph c1910.
Charles and Louise lived circa March 1910 at Queenstown, Tasmania.1 Charles and Louise lived in 1914 at McNamara Street, in Queenstown, Tasmania.16 Charles Leigh Clare Nicholson petitioned for bankruptcy with liabilities estimated at £590 on 17 March 1915.17,18
The Nicholson family posed for a photograph c1910 (George Gibb Nicholson, Marguerite Danuser, Hubert Nicholson, Lily Euphemia Eveline Nicholson, Marguerite Nicholson, Euphemia Scott Gibb, Donald Nicholson, Charles Leigh Clare Nicholson, Lousie Augusta Fooks)
(source: B. L. Nicholson)
(source: B. L. Nicholson)
His mother died 1915. He was a soldier in 1917.19 Charles and Louise lived in 1917 at at 24 Acland Street in the Melbourne suburb of St. Kilda.19 Charles Leigh Clare Nicholson was an accountant in 1919.20 Charles and Louise lived in 1919 at at 20 Dryden Street in the Melbourne suburb of St. Kilda.20 Charles Leigh Clare Nicholson was a salesman in 1922.21 Charles and Louise lived in 1922 at at 5 Clarke Street in the Melbourne suburb of St. Kilda. Also living in the house was a Donald Nicholson - perhaps his father or brother.21
His father died 24 May 1924 at the age of 89. He was an accountant in 1925.22 Charles and Louise lived in 1925 at at 177 Glenferrie Road in the Melbourne suburb of Glenferrie.22
Charles died in 1930 at the Melbourne suburb of Hawthorn.23 His body was interred at Springvale Botanical Cemetery at the Melbourne suburb of Springvale. Plot: Church of England, Compartment N, Section 11, Grave 14.24
|Louise Augusta Fooks (9 Apr 1880-1959)|
- [S261] Tasmania, Birth Certificate, Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages 1910 No.1271.
- [S27] Carroll Nicholson, Some relatives of Carroll and Nancy Nicholson (Kingprint of Richmond, Eng.), p.21.
- [S393] National Census for England, 1881 (online image) Registration district: Altrincham, Sub-registration district: Knutsford, Piece: 3511, Folio: 35, Page Number: 11 (http://search.ancestry.com.au/Browse/View.aspx).
- [S463] Family Search (A service provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) (https://familysearch.org) Church records for Chorlton Road Congregational Church, Old Trafford, 1858-1884, Film 2355751 (This record was not able to be located through Familysearch.org. However, Lancashire Online Parish Clerks (http://www.lan-opc.org.uk) indicate that this record should be in Baptisms 1861 - 1884, Page 10 (LDS Film 2355751)).
- [S527] The Manchester Times, Saturday 02 November 1878 p.3.
- [S830] The Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser, Tuesday 04 April 1882 p.7.
- [S831] The Cheshire Observer, Saturday 22 June 1878 p.5.
- [S338] Ancestry.com.au (http://www.ancestry.com.au/) Series: VPRS 7666; Series Title: Inward Overseas Passenger Lists (British Ports) [Microfiche Copy of VPRS 947].
- [S607] Land Applications and Warrants, 1868-1887 Nominal Register of Land Order Warrants Issued by the Emigrant and Colonists' Aid Corporation and Other, with Details of Native Country, Age, Date of Issue and Amount, and Acreage.; Film: SLTX/AO/EP/243; Series: CB7/25 Issued under 7th Section No.544 LCB No.102 (http://search.ancestry.com.au/Browse/View.aspx).
- [S336] The Argus, 1884 'BLUFF HAUBOUR.', The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1956), 5 February, p. 4, viewed 7 April, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article11843898
- [S607] Land Applications and Warrants, 1868-1887 Nominal Register of Land Order Warrants Issued by the Emigrant and Colonists' Aid Corporation and Other, with Details of Native Country, Age, Date of Issue and Amount, and Acreage.; Film: SLTX/AO/EP/243; Series: CB7/25Issued under 7th Section No.544 LCB No.102 (http://search.ancestry.com.au/Browse/View.aspx).
- [S567] The Zeehan and Dundas Herald, 1906 'No title.', Zeehan and Dundas Herald (Tas. : 1890 - 1922), 29 January, p. 2, viewed 19 September, 2012, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article80243232
- [S572] The Mercury (Hobart), 1906 'Advertising.', The Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860 - 1954), 24 July, p. 8, viewed 31 March, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article12775020
- [S273] Tasmania, Marriage Certificate, 1907 Register No.214 No.979.
- [S273] Tasmania, Marriage Certificate, Register 214 No.979.
- [S483] Australia - Electoral Rolls 1900-1980, (Ancestry.com, (no ref.)) Electorate of Darwin, Subdivision of Queenstown 1914 p.24 (http://search.ancestry.com.au/Browse/View.aspx).
- [S526] Website Launceston Family Album (http://www.launcestonfamilyalbum.org.au) http://www.launcestonfamilyalbum.org.au/Controller
- [S566] The Examiner, 1915 'NEW INSOLVENT.', Examiner (Launceston, Tas. : 1900 - 1954), 17 March, p. 6 Edition: DAILY, viewed 19 September, 2012, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article50806460
- [S483] Australia - Electoral Rolls 1900-1980, (Ancestry.com, (no ref.)) Electorate of Balaclava, Subdivision of St. Kilda West.
- [S483] Australia - Electoral Rolls 1900-1980, (Ancestry.com, (no ref.)) Electorate of Balaclava, Subdivision of Balaclava.
- [S483] Australia - Electoral Rolls 1900-1980, (Ancestry.com, (no ref.)) Electorate of Balaclava, Subdivision of St. Kilda central.
- [S483] Australia - Electoral Rolls 1900-1980, (Ancestry.com, (no ref.)) Electorate of Kooyong, Subdivision of Glenferrie.
- [S265] Victoria, Death Certificate, Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages, 1930 #1590 (index only).
- [S466] Find a Grave (http://www.findagrave.com) http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi
- [S273] Tasmania, Marriage Certificate, 1910 District of Lyell No.1271.