#956, (28 February 1804-10 February 1874)
|Father||Donald Nicholson1 (c 1773-5 Jul 1842)|
|Mother||Ann Metcalf (c 1766-25 Jan 1845)|
|Charts||Nicholson Family 2 - descendants|
Barbara Nicholson - ancestors
Descendents of Donald Nicholson
(For a brief history and context on the Nicholson family see this page)
Donald Nicholson's signature from his son Donald's wedding certificate in 1856
(Source: Liverpool Marriages and banns, Reference Number: 283 PLP/3/16)
(Source: Liverpool Marriages and banns, Reference Number: 283 PLP/3/16)
Photograph by Tim
NOTE: The information on this page is my research to date and is subject to change as I become better informed. I very much welcome any corrections or additional info you might have - my email address is at the bottom of this page - Tim Hill.
+ + + + + + + + + +
Donald was born on Tuesday, 28 February 1804 at Ulverston, Lancashire.2 He was the son of Donald Nicholson and Ann Metcalf.1 Donald lived in May 1824 at Walton-on-the-Hill, Liverpool.3
He married Jane Wetherell, daughter of John Wetherell and Margaret Parker, at St. Michael in the Hamlet on Tuesday, 11 May 1824 at Aigburth, Liverpool. He was 20 and his wife Jane was 21.3 Donald Nicholson was a hatter in 1832 at Clare Street, Liverpool.4 Donald, aged 30 and Jane Wetherell, aged 31 became the parents of Donald Nicholson on Friday, 6 June 1834 at Liverpool.5,1 Donald Nicholson was a hatter in 1835 at Church Street, Liverpool.6 Donald (and presumably his spouse Jane) lived circa 1840 at Stafford Street, Lime Street Ward, Liverpool.7
He was recorded as head of household in the 1841 census with Jane Wetherell (which other records indicate is his spouse) at Walton-on-the-Hill, Liverpool. He was 37 years old. The 1841 census only recorded adult ages rounded down to the nearest 5 years; his approximate age was recorded as 35 years old. Also in the household were seven of their children and a servant.8 Donald Nicholson was a hatter in 1843 at 38 Castle Street, Liverpool.9 Donald (and presumably his spouse Jane) lived in December 1843 at Castle Street, in Liverpool.10
Donald Nicholson Donald became bankrupt on 2 December 1843 on 2 December 1843.10 On 19 January 1844 his "goodwill, stock in trade and fixtures" along with house lease was to be disposed of by the Official Assignee. Apparently, Donald was also running a business as a baker and flour dealer.11 On 17 April 1844 Donald Nicholson was scheduled to meet with his creditors at the District Court at 12 noon, and again 90 days later.12,13 On 3 May 1844 Donald Nicholson made his first dividend payment of 8 shillings on the pound.14
He was recorded as head of household in the 1851 census with Jane Wetherell as his spouse at Prescot Road, West Derby, Liverpool. He was 47 years old. Also living in the house were four of their children aged 21 to 10 years old.2 His occupation was recorded as being a bookeeper in the census.2
In what must be astonishingly bad luck, Donald and Jane had four of their daughters die unmarried between 1847 and 1852. Each was between 19 and 22 years old. Donald Nicholson was a hatter in August 1856.15 Donald, as the father of the groom, attended Donald Nicholson and Elizabeth Ann Medhurst's wedding at St. Philip's on Wednesday, 6 August 1856 at Liverpool.15,1,16
He was recorded as head of household in the 1861 census with Jane Wetherell as his spouse at 9 Chapman Street, Manchester. He was 57 years old.17 His occupation was recorded as being a manchester warehouseman in the census.17 Donald Nicholson was a "Milliner and Bookkeeper, Dealer and Chapman" in March 1863.18,19
On 23 January 1863 Donald Nicholson was declared bankrupt for the second time and was forced to surrender himself to the Registrar of the County Court. A first meeting of his creditors was set up for a date 3 weeks hence at Liverpool.19
On 18 March 1863 Donald passed his last examination and had his bankruptcy discharged.18 On 19 December 1863 Donald Nicholson was scheduled to meet with his creditors for an audit at Liverpool County Court, in Liverpool.20
Donald Nicholson was recorded as a boarder in the household of James Sutton and Ann (?) in the 1871 census at 100 Mill Street, Manchester.21 His occupation was recorded as being a salesman for a glass works in the census.21 Donald Nicholson was a bookkeeper in February 1874.22 Donald lived in February 1874 at 57 Hutton Street, Moss Side, Manchester.22
Donald likely died on 10 February 1874 at Moss Side, Manchester, at age 69. He died of bronchitis and senectus (old age). Donald lived to see all but three of his twelve children die, all of them before he was 50..22
|Jane Wetherell (9 Sep 1802-c Dec 1870)|
- [S27] Carroll Nicholson, Some relatives of Carroll and Nancy Nicholson (Kingprint of Richmond, Eng.), p.6.
- [S392] National Census for England, 1851 (online image) Class: HO107; Piece: 2192; Folio: 744; Page: 11; GSU roll: 87200-87201.
- [S693] Aigburth Parish Registers - St. Michael in the Hamlet, Married by Banns by: Wm. Hesketh M. A., Register: Marriages 1815 - 1834, Page 30, Entry 90, Source: LDS Film 2147881.
- [S578] Poll Book / Electoral Register for United Kingdom, 1538-1893 Name: Donald Nicholson, Poll Year: 1832, Parish or Rectory: Liverpool.
- [S694] Lime Street, Liverpool Parish Registers - Baptist Congregation, Name: Donald Nicholson, Birth Date: 6 Jun 1834, Birth Place: Liverpool, Lancashire, England, Gender: Male, Event Type: Birth, Father: Donald Nicholson, Mother: Jane Nicholson ,Denomination: Particular Baptist, Piece Title: Piece 969: Liverpool, Lime Street Chapel formerly in Church Lane (Particular Baptist), 1818-1837.
- [S578] Poll Book / Electoral Register for United Kingdom, 1538-1893 Name: Donald Nicholson, Poll Year: 1835, Parish or Rectory: Liverpool.
- [S578] Poll Book / Electoral Register for United Kingdom, 1538-1893 Name: Donald Nicholson, Poll Year: 1840, Parish or Rectory: Liverpool (house).
- [S397] National Census for England, 1841 (online image) Class: HO107; Piece: 519; Book: 1; Civil Parish: Walton On The Hill; County: Lancashire; Enumeration District: 7; Folio: 46; Page: 7; Line: 24; GSU roll: 306905. (http://search.ancestry.com.au/Browse/View.aspx).
- [S701] Gore's Directory, Liverpool, Lancashire Name: Donald Nicholson, Street Address: 38 Castle street, Publication Title: 1843 Gore's Directory of Liverpool, County: Lancashire, Country: England, Publication Year: 1843.
- [S829] The Liverpool Mercury, Friday 05 April 1844 p.4.
- [S829] The Liverpool Mercury, 19 January 1844 p.5.
- [S829] The Liverpool Mercury, Friday 12 April 1844 p.7.
- [S829] The Liverpool Mercury, Friday 12 July 1844 p.7.
- [S829] The Liverpool Mercury, Friday 03 May 1844 p.7.
- [S708] Liverpool Record Office, Liverpool, England, Marriages and Banns, 1813-1921 Name: Donald Nicholson, Birth Year: abt 1835, Age: 21, Marriage Date: 6 Aug 1856, Parish: Liverpool, St Philip, Spouse's Name: Elizabeth Ann Medhurst, Father's Name: Donald Nicholson, Spouse Father's Name: Thomas Medhurst, Reference Number: 283 PLP/3/16.
- [S829] The Liverpool Mercury, Monday 11 August 1856 p.3.
- [S398] National Census for England, 1861 (online image) Class: RG 9; Piece: 2957; Folio: 8; Page: 11; GSU roll: 543055. (http://search.ancestry.com.au/Browse/View.aspx).
- [S828] The Liverpool Daily Post, Thursday 19 March 1863 p.7.
- [S829] The Liverpool Mercury, Friday 30 January 1863 p.6.
- [S829] The Liverpool Mercury, Thursday 17 December 1863 p.8.
- [S412] National Census for England, 1871 (online image) Class: RG10; Piece: 4034; Folio: 95; Page: 4; GSU roll: 846330 (http://search.ancestry.com.au/Browse/View.aspx).
- [S400] General Register Office, England - Death Certificates, Certified copy of an entry in a Register of Deaths Chorlton Registration District, 1874, Mar Qtr., Vol.8c, p.549.
- [S27] Carroll Nicholson, Some relatives of Carroll and Nancy Nicholson (Kingprint of Richmond, Eng.), p.7.