#338, (circa 1790-)
|Father||Daniel Brown (c 1760-)|
|Mother||Jannet McNab (c 1758-)|
+ + + + + + + + + +
John Brown may have been born circa 1789 at Perthshire, Scotland.1 He may have been baptised in February 1789 at Comrie, Perthshire, Scotland. However, it is not certain that this baptism record pertains to him. On the baptism, his father's name is listed as Donald (the anglicised version of Daniel).1,2 He may have been born circa 1790 at Glasgow.3 He was the son of Daniel Brown and Jannet McNab.
He married Margaret Miller, daughter of John Miller and Margaret (?), at St. Ninian's on Saturday, 3 July 1813 at Stirling.4 John and Margaret Miller became the parents of Margaret Brown on Thursday, 14 May 1818 at Stirling.5,6,7 At this time his occupation was given as farm labourer.5
John and his wife Margaret emmigrated with their six children from Liverpool on 28 February 1839 on the 'Heber'. His age was recorded as being 40 years in March 1838 but be was actually 49. The ship embarked with 178 emmigrants. The family was brought out by Donald McIntyre of Invermein, one of a number of private Scottish emigrant operators who had settled in Australia - he brought out 57 emigrants on the 'Heber', nearly all country people from the Highlands; shepherds and labourers and their families.8,9,10 After a voyage of nearly 6 months John and his wife Margaret arrived at Botany Bay on 27 July 1839 with their children. The ship's first port of call had been the Cape of Good Hope, where they embarked a further two passengers. They left the Cape on the 28th of May 1839. The trip was not without tragedy; 5 children died on the voyage.8,11
John, as the father of the bride, attended Agnes Brown and John Cameron's wedding at St. Andrew's Scots Presbyterian Church on Thursday, 31 August 1848 at Sydney.12 John (and presumably his spouse Margaret) lived in October 1848 at Balmain.12
There was a John Brown who was a timber merchant in Lane Cove, New South Wales in 1858 and again 4 years later (who was fined £2 for failing to report as a juror).13,14 John Brown was a sawyer in February 1863.3
John died on 13 February 1863 at the Sydney suburb of Balmain of 'decay of age'.3
John Brown's son Alexander had a funeral notice placed in the paper on 14 February 1863:
" FUNERAL.-The Friends of Mr. ALEXANDER BROWN are respectfully requested to attend the funeral of his late departed father, JOHN The procession to move from his son's residence, St. Andrew's-street, Balmain, THIS (Saturday) AFTERNOON, at half-past 2 o'clock. REUBEN THOMAS, undertaker, 141, York street, near the Wesleyan Chapel."15
His body was interred at South Ground (Old Burial Ground in Devonshire Street) on 15 February 1863 at Sydney.3
Children of John Brown and Margaret Miller
|Last Edited||16 Aug 2014|
|Charts||Brown family - descendants|
Miller Family (Scotland) - descendants
Mike Hill - ancestors
- [S212] John & Margaret Brown,.
- [S614] Webpage rootsweb (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com) http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi
- [S2] NSW Death Certificate, Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages 1863 #1659.
- [S410] International Genealogical Index (IGI) Scotland Batch 7630913, Call No. 1058820 (unknown sheet).
- [S50] Margaret Brown, "Heber."
- [S1] NSW Birth Certificate, Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages 1859 No.14301.
- [S1] NSW Birth Certificate, Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages 1857 No.12375.
- [S590] The Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser, 1839 '[No heading].', The Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser (NSW : 1803 - 1842), 30 July, p. 2, viewed 1 March, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page693767
- [S613] Michael Watt, Descendents of Daniel Brown, April 2013 p.9-10.
- [S615] The Colonist, 1839 'Shipping Intelligence.', The Colonist (Sydney, NSW : 1835 - 1840), 31 July, p. 2, viewed 12 April, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article31723492
- [S272] Assisted Immigrants to NSW, Archives Office of NSW the 'Heber' 27 Jul 1839.
- [S245] Parish Registers - Parish of Sydney, 1788-1856 Marriages - County of Cumberland 1848 Vol.73B No.1173.
- [S268] The Sydney Morning Herald, 1858 'SYDNEY QUARTER SESSIONS.', The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954), 21 September, p. 4, viewed 12 April, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article13021210
- [S616] The Empire, 1862 'COUNTRY NEWS. PARRAMATTA.', Empire (Sydney, NSW : 1850 - 1875), 12 May, p. 5, viewed 12 April, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article60475255
- [S268] The Sydney Morning Herald, 1863 'Family Notices.', The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954), 14 February, p. 10, viewed 12 April, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article13074209
- [S613] Michael Watt, Descendents of Daniel Brown, April 2013 p.7.
- [S2] NSW Death Certificate, Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages 1874 No. 4743.
- [S613] Michael Watt, Descendents of Daniel Brown, April 2013 p.9.
- [S463] Website Family Search (A service provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) (https://familysearch.org) "Scotland, Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X1ST-CZK : accessed 11 Aug 2014), Christian Brown, 19 Feb 1827; citing , reference ; FHL microfilm 102945.