#185, (7 December 1780-22 October 1825)
|Father||William Fooks (c 1760-Sep 1844)|
|Mother||Ann Williams MacKenzie (c 1759-Oct 1832)|
+ + + + + + + + + +
James was born on Thursday, 7 December 1780 at Melcombe Regis, Weymouth, Dorset.1,2 He was the son of William Fooks and Ann Williams MacKenzie. He was baptised on Sunday, 7 January 1781 at Wyke Regis, Dorset.3 After an extensive education James made a living as an architect and builder.4
He married Jane Berjew, daughter of Samuel Berjew and Catherine Wiltshire, on Tuesday, 2 March 1802 at Bradford Abbas, Dorset. He was 21 and his wife Jane was 24. Witnesses to the wedding were Mary Ann Barbara Berjew.5,6 James and Jane lived at 8 St. Thomas Street, Melcombe Regis, Weymouth, Dorset.4
On April 28th 1811 their nine day old son, James' name-sake, died. This must have been deeply distressing to James and his deeply religous wife.7 Just nine months later their first daughter Catherine died, whilst Jane was about six months pregnant. When he was born this child, also called James MacKenzie Fooks was to only live eighteen months. Jane was pregnant again soon, but this son, also with the same name, only lived seventeen months. Of their five children so far, only the first two sons were still alive.4 James, aged 41 and Jane Berjew, aged 44 became the parents of Samuel Berjew Fookes on Tuesday, 27 August 1822 at Weymouth, Dorset.1,8 James MacKenzie Fooks was a builder on 30 October 1822.9 James was employed by the Borough as Surveyor at Melcombe Regis, Weymouth, Dorset, on 17 September 1824.10
James died on 22 October 1825 at Weymouth, Dorset, at age 44 of 'a sickness'.1,10
Children of James MacKenzie Fooks and Jane Berjew
|Last Edited||11 Jul 2014|
|Charts||Barbara Nicholson - ancestors|
- [S806] Jane Fookes,"Extract from Jane Fookes' bible," Bible extract, vital dates , n.d.. Currently held by Tim Hill's collection, e-mail address (for date).
- [S533] Website Forefathers (https://sites.google.com/site/lazarusrobertshistory) https://sites.google.com/site/lazarusrobertshistory/…
- [S463] Website Family Search (A service provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) (https://familysearch.org) indexing project (batch) number: C02139-4 system origin: England-EASy source film number: 1239262.
- [S274] Grahame R. Fooks, The Fooks Family Records p.3.
- [S463] Website Family Search (A service provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) (https://familysearch.org) Indexing project (batch) number: M15812-1, system origin: England-VR, source film number: 1279482.
- [S806] Jane Fookes,"Extract from Jane Fookes' bible," Bible extract, vital dates , n.d.. Currently held by Tim Hill's collection, e-mail address (for date and place).
- [S274] Grahame R. Fooks, The Fooks Family Records p.3, 6.
- [S274] Grahame R. Fooks, The Fooks Family Records p.5.
- [S338] Website Ancestry.com.au (http://www.ancestry.com.au/) Dorset History Centre; Dorset Parish Registers; Reference: PE/MCR.
- [S274] Grahame R. Fooks, The Fooks Family Records p.4.