James MacKenzie Fooks
#185, (7 December 1780-22 October 1825)
|Father||William Fooks (c 1760-Sep 1844)|
|Mother||Ann Williams MacKenzie (c 1759-Oct 1832)|
|Charts||Barbara Nicholson - ancestors|
|Last Edited||14 Apr 2019|
+ + + + + + + + + +
James was born on Thursday, 7 December 1780 at Melcombe Regis, Weymouth, Dorset.1,2 He was the son of William Fooks and Ann Williams MacKenzie. He was baptised on Sunday, 7 January 1781 at Wyke Regis, Dorset.3 After an extensive education James made a living as an architect and builder.4
He married Jane Berjew, daughter of Samuel Berjew and Catherine Wiltshire, on Tuesday, 2 March 1802 at Bradford Abbas, Dorset. He was 21 and his wife Jane was 24. Witnesses to the wedding were Mary Ann Barbara Berjew.5,6,7 James and Jane lived at 8 St. Thomas Street, Melcombe Regis, Weymouth, Dorset.4
In a land tax document for Weymouth, Dorset, a James Fooks seems to have oiwned a number of properties (although he rented a property from Eliza Friend.)8
On April 28th 1811 their nine day old son, James' name-sake, died. This must have been deeply distressing to James and his deeply religous wife.9 Just nine months later their first daughter Catherine died, whilst Jane was about six months pregnant. When he was born this child, also called James MacKenzie Fooks was to only live eighteen months. Jane was pregnant again soon, but this son, also with the same name, only lived seventeen months. Of their five children so far, only the first two sons were still alive.4 James, aged 41 and Jane Berjew, aged 44 became the parents of Rev. Samuel Berjew Fookes on Tuesday, 27 August 1822 at Weymouth, Dorset.1,10 James MacKenzie Fooks was a builder on 30 October 1822.11 James was employed by the Borough as Surveyor at Melcombe Regis, Weymouth, Dorset, on 17 September 1824.12 His body was interred on 28 October 1824 at Wyke Regis, Dorset.13
James died on 22 October 1825 at Weymouth, Dorset, at age 44 of 'a sickness'.1,13,12
|Jane Berjew (25 Dec 1777-15 Apr 1875)|
- [S806] Jane Fookes,"Extract from Jane Fookes' bible," Bible extract, vital dates , n.d.. Currently held by unknown repository, unknown repository address (for date).
- [S533] Forefathers (https://sites.google.com/site/lazarusrobertshistory) https://sites.google.com/site/lazarusrobertshistory/…
- [S463] Family Search (A service provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) (https://familysearch.org) indexing project (batch) number: C02139-4 system origin: England-EASy source film number: 1239262.
- [S274] Grahame R. Fooks, The Fooks Family Records p.3.
- [S574] England Select Marriages, 1530-1973 Ancestry.com, (www.ancestry.com) Name: James Mackense Fooks; Gender: Male; Marriage Date: 2 Mar 1802; Marriage Place: Bradford Abbas, Dorset, England; Spouse: Jane Berjew; FHL Film Number: 1279482.
- [S463] Family Search (A service provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) (https://familysearch.org) Indexing project (batch) number: M15812-1, system origin: England-VR, source film number: 1279482.
- [S806] Jane Fookes,"Extract from Jane Fookes' bible," Bible extract, vital dates , n.d.. Currently held by unknown repository, unknown repository address (for date and place).
- [S1110] England, Dorset, Land Tax Returns, 1780-1811 Ancestry.com, (www.ancestry.com) Tenant: Jas Fooks; Proprietor: Eliza Friend; Year: 1810; Residence: Weymouth; Year Range: 1780-1811; Call Number: Ode (L) 58/1-30.
- [S274] Grahame R. Fooks, The Fooks Family Records p.3, 6.
- [S274] Grahame R. Fooks, The Fooks Family Records p.5.
- [S338] Ancestry.com.au Ancestry.com, (http://www.ancestry.com.au/) Dorset History Centre; Dorset Parish Registers; Reference: PE/MCR.
- [S274] Grahame R. Fooks, The Fooks Family Records p.4.
- [S1108] England, Dorset, Church of England Deaths and Burials 1813-2010 Ancestry.com, (www.ancestry.com) Name: James Margin Fooks [James McKenzie Fooks]; Death Age: 44; Birth Year: abt 1780; Burial Date: 28 Oct 1824; Burial Place: Wyke Regis, Dorset, England.