#164, (1853-1 March 1913)
+ + + + + + + + + +
Robert was born in 1853 at Glasgow.1,2 Robert Cheyne was also known as John Robert.3
Robert Cheyne emmigrated from Glasgow on 8 April 1874 on the 'Cartsburn.1' He arrived on 14 July 1874 at Otago, New Zealand.1
He was a joiner in 1885.1
He may have married Agnette E. Sörum, daughter of Evan Evanson, circa 1882 at New Zealand. Robert's death certificate indicates that he was married at the age of 29. However, the birth certificate for their second child (born in 1884) indicates that they were not, at least at that stage, married.4,2
Robert and his wife Agnette emmigrated from New Zealand circa March 1888.2 Robert and his wife Agnette arrived at Melbourne circa March 1888.2
Robert and Agnette E. Sörum became the parents of Violet Barbara Cheyne on Wednesday, 11 April 1888 at North Melbourne, Victoria.
His wife Agnette died 1901 at the aproximate age of 50, leaving him a widower. Robert lived in 1903 at at 116 Fitzroy Street in the Melbourne suburb of Fitzroy.5 He was a carpenter in 1903.5,6
Tragedy struck again in 1907 with the death of his second son. Arthur was only 19 when he died. Robert lived in 1909 at at 121 Kerr Street in the Melbourne suburb of Fitzroy.6 Robert, as the father of the bride, attended Violet Barbara Cheyne and Albert Edward Oaten's wedding at 101 Gore Street on Wednesday, 24 November 1909 at the Melbourne suburb of Fitzroy.7 Robert lived circa March 1913 at at 868 Nicholson street in the Melbourne suburb of North Fitzroy.2
Robert died on 1 March 1913 at 609 Little Collins street, in Melbourne, of heart disease. He was about 60 years of age.2 His body was interred at Melbourne General Cemetery on 2 March 1913 at Carlton.2
Children of Robert Cheyne and Agnette E. Sörum
|Last Edited||15 May 2014|
|Charts||Barbara Nicholson - ancestors|
- [S757] Website New Zealand Passenger Lists, 1839-1973 www.familysearch.org, Name: Robert Cheyne; Event Type: Immigration; Event Date: 14 Jul 1874; Event Place: Otago, New Zealand; Departure Port: Glasgow; Departure Place: Glasgow; Departure Date: 1874; Arrival Port: Otago; Arrival Place: Otago; Digital Folder Number: 004412087; Image Number: 00027.
- [S265] Victoria, Death Certificate, Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages, 1913 No.2898.
- [S265] Victoria, Death Certificate, Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages, 1907 No.5454 (index only).
- [S326] New Zealand Birth Certificate, Central Registry 1884 No.3218 (14/18A 486).
- [S483] Australia - Electoral Rolls 1900-1980, Division of Northern Melbourne, Sub-Division of Fitzroy South.
- [S483] Australia - Electoral Rolls 1900-1980, Division of Batman, Sub-Division of Fitzroy Central.
- [S264] Victoria, Marriage Certificate, Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages 1909 No.9213.
- [S264] Victoria, Marriage Certificate, Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages 1919 No.9213.