Charles Henry Oaten
#59, (22 February 1918-circa 1980)
|Father||Albert Edward Oaten (16 Apr 1888-2 May 1919)|
|Mother||Violet Barbara Cheyne (11 Apr 1888-14 Sep 1962)|
|Charts||Oaten Family - descendants|
+ + + + + + + + + +
Charles was born on Friday, 22 February 1918 at the Melbourne suburb of Clifton Hill.1 He was the son of Albert Edward Oaten and Violet Barbara Cheyne.
His father died 2 May 1919 at the age of 31. Charles was aged 1 when this happened. He died of influenza during the epidemic.
For the next 5 years, Violet and her children moved addresses a number of times. In 1924 she was living at 162 Queens Parade in North Fitzroy, then seven years later was at 3 Groom Street.2,3
Five years after that she was living at 68 Riversdale Road Glenferrie, then at 39 Currajong Avenue Camberwell in 1939.4,5 He gave his sister the bride away at the marriage of Violet Agnette Oaten and Harold John Neill on Saturday, 20 January 1940 at at St. John's Church of England in the Melbourne suburb of Camberwell.6 He was a student at at Swinburne college in 1940. Charles Henry Oaten was a linesman in 1942.5
He married Margaret Alice Hume, daughter of John Albert Hume and Alice Elizabeth Charlotte Eldridge, at All Saints on Saturday, 28 August 1943 at the Melbourne suburb of Kooyong. He was 25 and his wife Margaret was 23. Witnesses to the wedding were Violet Barbara Cheyne. Charles served in the Royal Australian Signals. He served as a warrant officer during the second world war. Charles lived in 1946 at at 44 Robinson Road in the Melbourne suburb of Hawthorn.7 In his adulthood Charles made a living as an electrical engineer perhaps for Amalgamated Wireless Australia (AWA.)8
His mother died September 1962 at the age of 74. Charles was aged 44 when this happened.
Charles died circa 1980.8
- [S8] Victoria, Birth Certificate, Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages 1918 No.2114.
- [S483] Australia - Electoral Rolls 1900-1980, (Ancestry.com, (no ref.)) Division of Batman, Sub-Division of Delbridge 1924 p.43.
- [S483] Australia - Electoral Rolls 1900-1980, (Ancestry.com, (no ref.)) Division of Batman, Sub-Division of Fitzroy North 1931 p.85.
- [S483] Australia - Electoral Rolls 1900-1980, (Ancestry.com, (no ref.)) Division of Kooyong, Sub-Division of Glenferrie 1936 p.90.
- [S483] Australia - Electoral Rolls 1900-1980, (Ancestry.com, (no ref.)) Division of Yarra, Sub-Division of Hawthorn 1942 p.190.
- [S336] The Argus, 1940 ''Maids In Pink Marquisette.', The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1956), 22 January, p. 8, viewed 2 September, 2012, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article11269816
- [S945] Australia - Electoral Rolls 1900-1980, (findmypast.com, (no ref.)) Division of Yarra, Sub-Division of Hawthorn 1946 p.203.
- [S602] Barbara Nicholson,.