Edward Farley Oaten1
#7888, (24 October 1884-17 April 1973)
|Father||Samuel Oaten1 (15 Sep 1856-13 Jan 1939)|
|Mother||Hannah Ellen Lay1 (1860-1915)|
|Charts||Oaten Family - descendants|
|Last Edited||5 Mar 2019|
+ + + + + + + + + +
Edward Farley Oaten was born on 24 October 1884 at Tunbridge Wells, Kent.1 He was the son of Samuel Oaten and Hannah Ellen Lay.1
He was the author of a number of books, including 'My Memories of India", "European Travellers in India: During the Fifteenth, Sixteenth and Seventeenth Centuries, the Evidence Afforded by Them with Respect to Indian Social Institutions, & the Nature & Influence of Indian Governments", and "A Sketch of Anglo-Indian Literature: (The Le Bas Prize Essay for 1907)" the last of which was dedicated to his mother.2,3,4,5,6 He was a student at at Sidney Sussex College University of Cambridge.6
In 1909 he taught History and English at Presidency College, Calcutta, West Bengal, a post he held for some 7 years.7
Edward Farley Oaten in February 1916 he became embroiled in a dispute with some students at Presidency College which resulted in the expulsion of Subhas Chandra Bose ( the Indian nationalist and freedom fighter who was then an under-graduate student) from the Presidency College, Calcutta. Bose had heard that Oaten had manhandled some Indian students, and had retaliated by beating Oaten. in February 1916.7,8 Edward was a Captain with the the King Edward's Own Lancers (Probyn's Horse) brigade. He served for two and a half years in the North West Frontier of India.7
Edward Farley Oaten married Kathleen Mary Evans on Friday, 27 March 1931 at Bishopsgate, London. They were 46 and 34 respectively.1
On 1967 Edward Farley Oaten published a book "Songs of Aton", reportedly containing several poems (including some sonnets) on his reminiscences of India.7
Edward died on 17 April 1973 at Tunbridge Wells, Kent, at age 88.1
|Kathleen Mary Evans (18 May 1896-1989)|
- [S372] GEDCOM file created by Arthur Russ, 21 April 2011.
- [S889] Edward Farley Oaten My memories of India https://books.google.com.au/books
- [S890] Edward Farley Oaten European Travellers in India https://books.google.com.au/books
- [S891] Edward Farley Oaten A Sketch of Anglo-Indian Literature https://books.google.com.au/books
- [S892] E-mails from Utpal Aich to Tim Hill, 2015- 'About Late Mr. Edward Farley Oaten' - Wed, 30 Sep 2015 20:45:10 +0530.
- [S912] WaybackMachine (http://www.archive.org) https://archive.org/details/sketchofangloind00oateuoft
- [S892] E-mails from Utpal Aich to Tim Hill, 2015- 'About Late Mr. Edward Farley Oaten' - 29 November 2015 at 22:53.
- [S913] The Times of Tunbridge Wells, Tunbury Wells, Kent, England, 14 Oct 2015 https://www.timesoftunbridgewells.co.uk/…