Great Parndon, Essex
Great Parndon is an ancient but small and isolated parish. It had a population of 300 in 1801, rising to 534 in 1891, and was a place of scattered farms and hamlets. The main crops were grass, cereals and vegetables. The church of St. Mary the Virgin stands on an elevated site, with walls of flint rubble and brick for the transcepts. It dates from the 15th century.
St. Mary the Virgin, Great Parndon, Essex
The nave and chancel, which are the same width, without a chancel arch, date from the 12th century. In the south wall of the nave are a small Norman window and the arch of the Norman south doorway, both turned in Roman brick. A tower had been built by 1234. The building of the north chapel for Sir Peter Arderne's chantry, shortly before 1466, has been mentioned above. The oak roof of the chapel was originally decorated in vermilion, blue, and gold, while the walls were covered with paintings depicting the Nativity, St. Christopher, St. Dunstan, and other subjects. (source: https://secure.flickr.com/photos/chrisflateau/7147690561/)