Harriet Whitridge Baker1
#14497, (circa 1835-24 December 1920)
|Father||Reverend Edward Knight Baker1 (5 Jan 1805-20 Jan 1885)|
|Mother||Ruth Wayte1 (c 1802-9 Jun 1885)|
|Charts||Manthorpe Family - descendants|
Wayte Family - descendants
|Last Edited||29 May 2016|
+ + + + + + + + + +
Harriet Whitridge Baker was born circa 1835 at Tananarive, Madagascar.1 She was the daughter of Reverend Edward Knight Baker and Ruth Wayte.1
She was probably sent to Mauritius in advance of her parents, who arrived in 1836.2
Ruth returned briefly to England on the John Bagshaw, arriving 31 July 1841 where "she entered the two oldest children in the missionary school at Walthamstow and the returned with the youngest to Mauritius".3 At about the age of 10, Harriet travelled with her 29 year old cousin Mary Leonard and her younger sister Ellen from London on 25 July 1845 on the Templar.4,5 Harriet arrived at Port Adelaide, South Australia, on 24 November 1845.4
She married Reverend Charles Manthorpe, son of James Symonds Manthorpe and Sarah Love, on Thursday, 20 October 1859 at her father's house at Morphett Vale, South Australia.6,1
When her husband resigned from ministering to Freeman Street Congregational Church, in, in May 1862 she was presented with a complete work box and writing desk.7 She presumably lived with her spouse Charles at Franklin Street, in Adelaide, South Australia, in May 1862.89
Her father died 20 January 1885 at the age of 80.
Her mother died 9 June 1885. Her mother's death was less than 6 months after the death of her father.
Harriet died on 24 December 1920 at the Adelaide suburb of Glenelg.1
|Reverend Charles Manthorpe (31 Mar 1836-6 Dec 1898)|
- [S864] E-mails from Carole Knight Baker to Tim Hill, 2015- 'Re: WAYTE families query' - 10 March 2015 at 14:49.
- [S865] Gwyn Campbell David Griffiths and the Missionary “History of Madagascar” p.862.
- [S865] Gwyn Campbell David Griffiths and the Missionary “History of Madagascar” p.863.
- [S532] Bound for South Australia (http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/fh/passengerlists/…) http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/fh/passengerlists/1845Templar.htm
- [S244] The South Australian Register, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia, 1845 'The South Australian Register. ADELAIDE: Saturday, November 18, 1845.', South Australian Register (Adelaide, SA : 1839 - 1900), 26 November, p. 3, viewed 23 April, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article27451403
- [S321] The South Australian Advertiser, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia, 1859 'Family Notices.', The South Australian Advertiser (Adelaide, SA : 1858 - 1889), 26 October, p. 2, viewed 2 May, 2015, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article1198547
- [S909] E-mails from John Ryan to Tim Hill, 2016- 'Re: ThoseBefore.com - Reverend Charles Manthorpe' - 20 May 2016 at 07:21.
- [S244] The South Australian Register, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia, 1862 'Family Notices.', South Australian Register (Adelaide, SA : 1839 - 1900), 26 May, p. 7, viewed 2 May, 2015, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article50162392
- [S909] E-mails from John Ryan to Tim Hill, 2016- 'Re: ThoseBefore.com - Reverend Charles Manthorpe' - 20 May 2016 at 06:57.
- [S243] The Adelaide Observer (later The Observer), Adelaide, South Australia, 1879 'Family Notices.', Adelaide Observer (SA : 1843 - 1904), 12 July, p. 4, viewed 2 May, 2015, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article160122415