#11885, (30 September 1880-30 May 1902)
|Father||Walter Thomas Smith1 (11 Sep 1851-15 Mar 1930)|
|Mother||Lucy Deane1 (c 1859-May 1943)|
|Charts||Deane Family - descendants|
Manthorpe Family - descendants
Read family - descendants
Smith family - descendants
|Last Edited||29 Mar 2022|
+ + + + + + + + + +
Elbertha was born on Thursday, 30 September 1880 at the Adelaide suburb of Gilberton.1 She was the daughter of Walter Thomas Smith and Lucy Deane.1
A meeting of the Cape Borda Christian Endeavor Union was held at the Smith house, and Elbertha, Lillian and Lucy were all involved (and one was elected treasurer.)2 She lived with her parents at Cape Borda, Kangaroo Island, South Australia, in August 1898.2
The Smith family hosted a social evening at their house at Cape Borda, Kangaroo Island, South Australia, for the Cape Borda Christian Endeavor Society, and the three girls and two of the men contributed songs and recitations.3
On Tuesday, 9 October 1900 the Smith family attended the harvest thanksgiving church services held in the telegraph office which was "tastefully decorated with vegetables, grown on the station, and wildflowers for the occasion." Walter and his three daughters all sung as soloists at the church service.4 Elbertha lived in May 1902 at John Street, in Hindmarsh, South Australia.5,6
Elbertha died on 30 May 1902 at John Street, in Hindmarsh, South Australia, at age 21.6,7 Her body was interred at Hindmarsh cemetery on 1 June 1902 at Hindmarsh, South Australia. Eastern BOX Right of interment 4133.8
Elbertha has a gravestone in at Saint George's Cemetery in the Adelaide suburb of Magill.9
- [S5] South Australia, Birth Certificate, Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages Vol 248 p.395 (District of Adelaide).
- [S322] The Advertiser (Adelaide, South Australia), Adelaide, South Australia, Australia, 1898 'CHURCH INTELLIGENCE.', The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA : 1889 - 1931), 17 August, p. 6. , viewed 03 Feb 2019, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article29415708
- [S243] The Adelaide Observer (later The Observer), Adelaide, South Australia, 1898 'COUNTRY NEWS.', Adelaide Observer (SA : 1843 - 1904), 20 August, p. 12. , viewed 04 Feb 2019, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article162328002
- [S322] The Advertiser (Adelaide, South Australia), Adelaide, South Australia, Australia, 1900 'THE COUNTRY.', The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA : 1889 - 1931), 17 October, p. 5. , viewed 04 Feb 2019, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article36973885
- [S1068] The Evening Journal, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia, 1902 'Family Notices', Evening Journal (Adelaide, SA : 1869 - 1912), 31 May, p. 4. , viewed 03 Feb 2019, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article200788993
- [S6] South Australia, Death Certificate, Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages Vol.286 p.273.
- [S458] The Register (Adelaide), Adelaide, South Australia, Australia, 1902 'Family Notices.', The Register (Adelaide, SA : 1901 - 1929), 11 June, p. 8, viewed 6 February, 2012, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article56561523 (for street name).
- [S1024] Burial records for Elbertha Smith (https://www.charlessturt.sa.gov.au/page.aspx).
- [S466] Find a Grave (http://www.findagrave.com) Find a Grave, database and images (https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/202494989/… : accessed 29 March 2022), memorial page for Elbertha Smith (1881–31 May 1902), Find a Grave Memorial ID 202494989, citing Saint George's Cemetery, Magill, Campbelltown City, South Australia, Australia ; Maintained by J (contributor 50048377) .