#913, (circa 1796-20 July 1864)
|Father||Alexander Gibb1 (c 1765-b Feb 1860)|
|Mother||Isabel Sim1 (-b Feb 1860)|
|Charts||Barbara Nicholson - ancestors|
|Last Edited||4 Mar 2023|
+ + + + + + + + + +
James Gibb was likely born circa 1796 at Aberdeenshire.2,3 He was the son of Alexander Gibb and Isabel Sim.1 James Gibb was baptised at Chapel of Ease on Sunday, 1 May 1796 at Old Machar, Aberdeen.3 James lived in October 1817 at Aberdeen.4 He was a mariner in October 1817.4
He married Christian Angus, daughter of John Angus, at the house Rev Robert Doig on Thursday, 2 October 1817 at Aberdeen.. Christian and James went on to have six known children together.4,5
James and Christian Angus became the parents of Euphemia Scott Gibb circa 1839 at Aberdeen. She was said to have had a crippled hand, perhaps from birth, and blue eyes.6,7,8
He was captain of the 290 ton barque Rose, and sailed from Peru with a load of guano, arriving at Aberdeen on 10 February 1851.9
On Tuesday, 25 March 1851 he was issued a Master's Certificate of Service in Aberdeen to commemerate his 40 years in the British Merchant Service, engaged in foreign trade.10
He was recorded as head of household in the 1851 census at Regent Quay, Aberdeen. He was recorded as being 56 years old. Also living in the house was his son and daughter.2 His occupation was recorded as being a shipmaster in the census.11,12
On Wednesday, 22 October 1851 he attended a meeting in support of the Endowment Scheme of the Church of Scotland at the County Rooms, Aberdeen. This was a movement that deplored the absence of Christianity in some areas of Scotland and sought to address moral issues through extending the reach of the Church.13 James Gibb was a shipmaster in January 1852.14
James attended the wedding of James Reid and his daughter Margaret Gibb in marriage conducted according to the rites of the Free Trinity Church on Friday, 27 February 1852 at Aberdeen. They also signed the marriage certificate as witnesses.15,16
In April 1856 he was commander of the St. Lawerence, a 600 ton passenger barque bound for Quebec. He was noted in the advertisment as being 'very experienced and careful'.17 James lived in January 1860 at 6 Mount Street, Aberdeen.14
He married Jane Gilbert, a domestic servant, daughter of John Gilbert and Jane Coutts, at the United Presbyterian Church at 74 George Street on Thursday, 26 January 1860 at St. Nicholas, Aberdeen..14,18,19
His wife of 9 months, Jane Gilbert, was listed as head of household and 'shipmaster's wife' in the 1861 census at 31 Upperkirkgate, St. Nicholas, Aberdeen.20 James lived in July 1864 at Honey Cottage, Woodside, Aberdeen.1
James died at 11:45am on 20 July 1864 at Woodside, Aberdeen, of paralysis that he had been experiencing for 2 years.1,21 His body was interred at St. Clement's Churchyard on 23 July 1864 at Aberdeen.22
|Christian Angus (c 1800-b Oct 1869)|
|Jane Gilbert (11 May 1819-29 Jun 1869)|
- [S959] Scotland, Death Certificate, Statutory Registers 1864 GIBB, JAMES (Statutory registers Deaths 168/2 511).
- [S568] National Census for Scotland, 1851 (online image) (Census 168/A 40/ 49) Page 49 of 64.
- [S1010] Parish Registers for Old Machar, 1641-1854 01/05/1796 GIBB, JAMES (Old Parish Registers Births 168/B 40 665 Old Machar) Page 665 of 705.
- [S1168] Parish Registers for Abberdeen, unknown 02/10/1817 GIBB, JAMES (Old Parish Registers Marriages 168/A 170 236 Aberdeen) Page 236 of 426.
- [S463] Family Search (A service provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) (https://familysearch.org) indexing project (batch) number: M11168-4, system origin: Scotland-ODM, source film number: 991139.
- [S991] National Census for Scotland, 1841 (online image) (Census 168/A 13/ 5) Page 5 of 43.
- [S551] National Census for Scotland, 1861 (online image) Registration Number:168A, Registration district: St Nicholas, Civil parish: St Nicholas, Household schedule number: 101, Roll: CSSCT1861_24.
- [S27] Carroll Nicholson, Some relatives of Carroll and Nancy Nicholson (Kingprint of Richmond, Eng.), p.6.
- [S1007] The Aberdeen Press and Journal, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, Wednesday 12 February 1851 p.8.
- [S700] The Lords of the Committee of Privy Council for Trade, UK and Ireland, Masters and Mates Certificates, 1850-1927, England Name: James Gibb; Birth Date: 1798; Birth Place: Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire; Issue Date: 25 Mar 1851; Issue Port: Aberdeen; Certificate Number: 71306.
- [S988] National Census for Scotland, 1861 (online image) (Census 168/A 40/ 49) Page 49 of 64.
- [S27] Carroll Nicholson, Some relatives of Carroll and Nancy Nicholson (Kingprint of Richmond, Eng.), p.21.
- [S1007] The Aberdeen Press and Journal, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, Wednesday 22 October 1851 p.5.
- [S956] Scotland, Marriage Certificate, Statutory Registers 1860 GIBB, JAMES (Statutory registers Marriages 168/1 31).
- [S1414] Parish Registers for Free Trinity Church, 1852 GIBB, MARGARET (Old Parish Registers Marriages 168/ A Aberdeen) Page 170 of 381.
- [S338] Ancestry.com.au Ancestry.com, (http://www.ancestry.com.au/) http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/17395447/person/505201472
- [S1008] The Aberdeen Herald and General Advertiser, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, Saturday 02 February 1856 p.1.
- [S338] Ancestry.com.au Ancestry.com, (http://www.ancestry.com.au/) https://www.ancestry.com.au/family-tree/person/tree/…
- [S1415] University of Cambridge - A Cambridge Alumni Database (https://venn.lib.cam.ac.uk/) https://venn.lib.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/search-2018.pl
- [S551] National Census for Scotland, 1861 (online image) Name: Jane Gilbert; Occupation: Shipmaster's Wife; ED: 3; Household schedule number: 48; LINE: 13; Roll: CSSCT1861_24.
- [S1009] The Aberdeen People's Journal, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, Saturday 06 August 1864 p.3.
- [S466] Find a Grave (http://www.findagrave.com) Find a Grave, database and images (https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/147420285/james-gibb : accessed 31 March 2022), memorial page for James Gibb (unknown–23 Jul 1864), Find a Grave Memorial ID 147420285, citing Saint Clements Churchyard, Aberdeen, Aberdeen City, Scotland ; Maintained by Pixturmn (contributor 47729036) .
- [S956] Scotland, Marriage Certificate, Statutory Registers 1869 NICHOLSON, DONALD (Statutory registers Marriages 168/1 271).
- [S338] Ancestry.com.au Ancestry.com, (http://www.ancestry.com.au/) http://trees.ancestry.com.au/tree/17395447/person/505201473
- [S392] National Census for England, 1851 (online image) Registration district: Wirral, Sub-registration district: Birkenhead, Piece: 2175, Folio: 813, Page Number: 8 (http://search.ancestry.com.au/Browse/View.aspx).
- [S1007] The Aberdeen Press and Journal, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, Wednesday 25 December 1844 p.3 (This source claims that there were 3 daughters before Mary Ann).
- [S393] National Census for England, 1881 (online image) Registration district: Altrincham, Sub-registration district: Knutsford, Piece: 3511, Folio: 35, Page Number: 11 (http://search.ancestry.com.au/Browse/View.aspx).
- [S338] Ancestry.com.au Ancestry.com, (http://www.ancestry.com.au/) http://trees.ancestry.com.au/tree/17395447/person/…