Henry William Murray
#238, (1 December 1880-7 January 1966)
|Father||Edward Kennedy Murray (21 May 1840-b Sep 1933)|
|Mother||Clarissa Littler (9 Jun 1841-21 Sep 1933)|
|Last Edited||19 Sep 2021|
+ + + + + + + + + +
Henry was born on Wednesday, 1 December 1880 at the small Tasmanian town of Evandale.1 He was the son of Edward Kennedy Murray and Clarissa Littler. He initially went to Kalgoorlie, Western Australia, but couldn't find work in three weeks, so joined his uncle Henry William Murray who had a wood contract for a local mine.2 Henry William Murray also went by the name of Mad Harry. He was decorated while serving in the military. He was awarded the VC, CMG, DSO and bar, DCM and Croix de Guerre. He was reckoned to be the most highly decorated Australian of the First World War.. He reported for active duty on 1 January 1918.
He married Ellen Purdon Cameron, at Registers Office on Sunday, 20 November 1927 at Auckland, New Zealand..3 At this time his occupation was given as as a farmer. Henrylived in September 1933 at Queensland.4 He reported for active duty on 1 June 1944.
Henry died on 7 January 1966 at Miles Hospital, in Richmond, Queensland, at age 85.5
|Ellen Purdon Cameron (c 1885-)|
- [S627] George and Slayter, Clyde Franki Mad Harry - Australia's Most Decorated Soldier p.1.
- [S1281] Noel Fooks, manuscript, February 1943 p.1.
- [S627] George and Slayter, Clyde Franki Mad Harry - Australia's Most Decorated Soldier p.155.
- [S914] E-mails from Julie Weizenegger to Tim Hill, 2016- 'Charles Littler Ann Summers' - 12 August 2016 at 10:29.
- [S1048] E-mails from Ian McAnish to Tim Hill, 2018- 'Littler Descendants' - 16 Aug 2018, 22:02.