Heba Gwendolyn Smith1
#23, (11 April 1905-27 September 1986)
|Father||James Smith (11 Oct 1881-16 Jun 1950)|
|Mother||Elsie Florence Darby (4 Apr 1884-27 Feb 1966)|
+ + + + + + + + + +
Heba was born on Tuesday, 11 April 1905 at North Adelaide.2,1,3 She was the daughter of James Smith and Elsie Florence Darby. Heba Gwendolyn Smith was also known as Heba Gwendoline Smith. She presumablylived with her parents at 137 MacKinnon Parade, in Adelaide, in March 1907. This house was built by 1880 as it appears in the Smith Survey of Adelaide of that date. Made from South Australian bluestone with rendered quoins and facings to windows and doors, verandah with cast iron decorative bracket and frieze elements, and eaves brackets.4,5 A picture was taken of Heba and Margery Smith, their parents and their grandmother. It was almost certainly taken at Adelaide.
A photograph was taken of the Bourke and Hill houses in at 32 and 30 Addison Street, Manly c.1918.Wagga Wagga, New South Wales, circa 1923. However, they only stayed there a year before moving to Sydney.6 Heba's occupation was given as 'home duties' in May 1929.3 Hebalived in May 1929 at the Sydney suburb of Potts Point.3
Marjorie and Heba Smith, James Smith and Elsie Darby, Martha Miller c1915 at (probably) 137 Mackinnon Parade, Adelaide.
(source: Mrs. M. Willson)
(source: Mrs. M. Willson)
She married Frank Gordon Hocken, a wireless engineer, son of James Preston Hocken and Helen Sophia Mason, in an Anglican ceremony at St. Johns Bishopthorpe on Wednesday, 22 May 1929 at the Sydney suburb of Glebe. She was 24 and her husband Frank was 26..3
She almost certainly attended the wedding of her sister in the marriage of John Hill and Margery Jean Smith at Sydney Church of England Grammar Chapel on Saturday, 2 November 1929 at North Sydney. John and Margery went on to have only one child together.7 Heba and Franklived in 1930 at at 12 Kyola Flats Royston Street in the Sydney suburb of Darlinghurst.8 Heba and Franklived in 1933 at at 5 Ithica Flats on Ithica Road in the Sydney suburb of Darlinghurst.9
Throughout their lives, the three sisters were very close despite being very different. They were intelligent, interested in world affairs and great conversationalists.10 Heba and Franklived in 1937 at at 14 Court Road in the Sydney suburb of Edgecliff.11
Her father died 16 June 1950 at the age of 68. Heba was aged 45 when this happened. She was a clerk in 1954.12 Heba and Franklived in 1954 at at 14 Court Road in the Sydney suburb of Double Bay.12 Heba and Franklived in 1958 at 11 Painters Lane, in Terrigal, New South Wales.13 Heba and Franklived in February 1966 at 23 Barnhill Road, in Terrigal, New South Wales.14 Heba provided information on the death of her mother Elsie Florence Darby, on 27 February 1966, at at Princess Alexandra Hospital in the Brisbane suburb of South Brisbane at age 60.14,15
Her mother died 27 February 1966 at the age of 81. Heba was aged 60 when this happened.
Her husband Frank died 1975, leaving her a widow. Hebalived in 1986 at Kincumber, New South Wales.
Heba died on 27 September 1986 at Kincumber, NSW, at age 81.16 She was buried at Palmdale crematorium, in Palmdale, New South Wales.17
Heba was remembered as a 'robust hearty person.18'
- [S5] South Australia, Birth Certificate, Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages Vol.746 p.106.
- [S227] Margery Smith,.
- [S1084] Parish Registers for Glebe, 1929 No.133 Frank Hocken and Heba Smith.
- [S5] South Australia, Birth Certificate, Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages 1907 No.187 (District of Adelaide) (The house number isn't stated in the original source, but the house is still standing and can be identified from a contemporary photograph.).
- [S1314] McDougall & Vines SURVEY & RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THE CITY HERITAGE AND CHARACTER - PLAN AMENDMENT REPORT - CITY of ADELAIDE - VOLUME 2, PART 4 (M-N) - Building Data Sheets : Local Heritage Places https://d31atr86jnqrq2.cloudfront.net/docs/… p.25 (Shelly Mcvee helped me identify this house.).
- [S259] Mavis 'Patti' Willson, 11 Mar 2018.
- [S3] New South Wales, Marriage Certificate, Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages 1929 No.258114(?).
- [S483] Australia - Electoral Rolls 1900-1980 - Ancestry.com, Electorate of North Sydney, Subdivision of Darlinghurst (1930) p.2.
- [S483] Australia - Electoral Rolls 1900-1980 - Ancestry.com, Electorate of North Sydney, Subdivision of Darlinghurst (1933) p.5.
- [S1076] Barbara Nicholson, 03:50 - 04:30, 06:00 - 06:40.
- [S483] Australia - Electoral Rolls 1900-1980 - Ancestry.com, Electorate of Wentworth, Subdivision of Bellvue Hill (1937) p.5.
- [S483] Australia - Electoral Rolls 1900-1980 - Ancestry.com, Electorate of Wentworth, Subdivision of Woolahra East (1954) p.4.
- [S483] Australia - Electoral Rolls 1900-1980 - Ancestry.com, Electorate of MacArthur, Subdivision of Gosford (1958) p.7.
- [S290] Queensland, Death Certificate, Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages 1966 No.79343.
- [S488] Mike Hill, recollection, unknown date,.
- [S477] Australia Cemetery Index, 1808-2007 Ancestry.com, Cemetery Location: Palmdale, New South Wales.
- [S477] Australia Cemetery Index, 1808-2007 Ancestry.com, Central Coast Family History Society Inc; Collection Title: Palmdale Lawn Cemetery; Reference: R H Creighton Funeral Director's Records.
- [S1076] Barbara Nicholson, 05:10 - 06:00.
- [S483] Australia - Electoral Rolls 1900-1980 - Ancestry.com, Electorate of Robertson, Subdivision of Gosford (1963) p.6.
- [S483] Australia - Electoral Rolls 1900-1980 - Ancestry.com, Electorate of Robertson, Subdivision of Terigal (1980) p.10.