#187, (25 December 1777-15 April 1875)
|Father||Samuel Berjew (c 1727-11 Oct 1820)|
|Mother||Catherine Wiltshire (1734-3 Feb 1826)|
|Charts||Barbara Nicholson - ancestors|
|Last Edited||16 Jan 2021|
+ + + + + + + + + +
Jane was born on Thursday, 25 December 1777 at Up Cerne, Dorset.1 She was the daughter of Samuel Berjew and Catherine Wiltshire. She was baptised on Tuesday, 28 March 1780 at Up Cerne, Dorset.
She married James MacKenzie Fooks, son of William Fooks and Ann Williams MacKenzie, on Tuesday, 2 March 1802 at Bradford Abbas, Dorset. She was 24 and her husband James was 21. Witnesses to the wedding were Mary Ann Barbara Berjew.2,3,4 Jane and James lived at 8 St. Thomas Street, Melcombe Regis, Weymouth, Dorset.5
On April 28th 1811 their nine day old son, James' name-sake, died. This must have been deeply distressing to James and his deeply religous wife.6 Just nine months later their first daughter Catherine died, whilst Jane was about six months pregnant. When he was born this child, also called James MacKenzie Fooks was to only live eighteen months. Jane was pregnant again soon, but this son, also with the same name, only lived seventeen months. Of their five children so far, only the first two sons were still alive.5 She presumably lived with her spouse James at Melcombe Regis, Weymouth, Dorset, in 1814.7 Jane's child an unknown person received an unknown person baptism on Sunday, 30 January 1814 at Up Cerne, Dorset. His family travelled at least 15 miles - a journey of several hours - so he could be baptised in the church his mother's father was rector of.8,9
Her father died 11 October 1820 at the approximate age of 93. Jane was aged 42 when this happened. Jane, aged 44 and James MacKenzie Fooks, aged 41 became the parents of Rev. Samuel Berjew Fookes on Tuesday, 27 August 1822 at Weymouth, Dorset.1,10
In Jane Iles's will on 6 November 1824 at Dorset Mary Ann Barbara Berjew, Catherine Jane Iles Fooks, Charles Berjew Fooks, William Samuel Fooks, Rev. Samuel Berjew Fookes, James MacKenzie Fooks and Jane Fooks were named as heirs.11
Her husband James died 22 October 1825 at the age of 44, leaving her a widow at age 47. She was to live another 50 years without him.12
61 was allotted some land in Adelaide (Land Order number 302.)13
At the age of 62 Jane emigrated with her son Samuel and her son William, his wife and four children, her daughter and her son-in-law from London on 5 July 1840 on the 'Waterloo.14,15,16' After a voyage of about 5 months Jane arrived at England on 9 November 1840.15,17,16
She was apparently was one of the Grantees of Adelaide Town Acres showing 'Jane FOOKS of Dorset, Widow.18' She was living with her daughter Catherine's family at Stanley, Tasmania, in April 1875.18
Jane died on 15 April 1875 at Stanley, Tasmania, at age 97.19,20 Her body was interred at Stanley Pioneer Burial Ground on 19 April 1875 at Stanley, Tasmania. The Discovery Centre at Stanley has a copy of the Burial Register for the old Stanley Cemetery. Jane FOOKS is not listed in this register but there is a record of a Jane FOSTER aged 97 having been buried at the Old Stanley Cemetery on April 19th 1875. On the presumption that there would not have been two Jane F's of this age buried around this time we can assume that this is the burial record for Jane FOOKS which has been transcribed incorrectly. There is no marker for Jane FOOKS but we can also assume she would have been buried close to the KING Family..18,21
|James MacKenzie Fooks (7 Dec 1780-22 Oct 1825)|
- [S806] Jane Fookes,"Extract from Jane Fookes' bible," Bible extract, vital dates , n.d.. Currently held by unknown repository, unknown repository address (for date).
- [S574] England Select Marriages, 1530-1973 Ancestry.com, (www.ancestry.com) Name: James Mackense Fooks; Gender: Male; Marriage Date: 2 Mar 1802; Marriage Place: Bradford Abbas, Dorset, England; Spouse: Jane Berjew; FHL Film Number: 1279482.
- [S463] Family Search (A service provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) (https://familysearch.org) Indexing project (batch) number: M15812-1, system origin: England-VR, source film number: 1279482.
- [S806] Jane Fookes,"Extract from Jane Fookes' bible," Bible extract, vital dates , n.d.. Currently held by unknown repository, unknown repository address (for date and place).
- [S274] Grahame R. Fooks, The Fooks Family Records p.3.
- [S274] Grahame R. Fooks, The Fooks Family Records p.3, 6.
- [S1170] Dorset, England, Church of England Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906 (www.ancestry.com) Name: James Mackenzie Fooks; Baptism Date: 30 Jan 1814; Baptism Place: Up Cerne, Dorset, England; Search Photos: Search for 'Up Cerne' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection; Father: James Fooks; Mother: Jane Fooks.
- [S1107] England, Select Dorset, Church of England Parish Registers, 1538-1999 Ancestry.com, (www.ancestry.com) Name: James Mackenzie Fooks; Baptism Date: 30 Jan 1814; Baptism place: Up Cerne, Dorset, England; Father: James Fooks
Mother: Jane Fooks.
- [S463] Family Search (A service provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) (https://familysearch.org) Indexing project (batch) number: C02899-7, system origin: England-EASy, source film number: 1279490.
- [S274] Grahame R. Fooks, The Fooks Family Records p.5.
- [S561] Dorset Online Parish Clerks (http://www.opcdorset.org/) http://www.opcdorset.org/CerneAbbasFiles/…
- [S274] Grahame R. Fooks, The Fooks Family Records p.4.
- [S1218] The South Australian Record, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia, 1839 'Advertising', South Australian Record (SA : 1837 - 1840), 8 May, p. 5. , viewed 22 Nov 2020, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article245932274
- [S1217] Oz Ships - Australian shipping 1788-1968 (http://www.ozships.net/) 'Waterloo' - 5/7/1840 to 9/11/1840 http://www.ozships.net/ozships/events/2/171.htm#10449 (The family's name is transcribed as 'Tooks').
- [S386] South Australian Migrant Shipping (1836-1860) (http://members.iinet.net.au/~perthdps/shipping/mig-sa1.htm) Waterloo 9th Nov 1840 (This citation is for the date and details of the ship; the presence of the Fooks family on it has not been verified.).
- [S256] Grahame R. Fooks, The Fooks Family, 1780-1980 p.4.
- [S1216] The South Australian Record and Australasian and South African Chronicle, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia, 1840 'SHIPWRECK.—LOSS OF THE BARQUE LANCIER.', South Australian Record and Australasian and South African Chronicle (SA : 1840 - 1841), 18 July, p. 7. , viewed 22 Nov 2020, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article245932986
- [S728] GEDCOM file created by Donald L. Reid, 17 Feb 2014 (companion to 'Descendents of James MCKENZIE.rtf' p.2).
- [S572] The Mercury (Hobart), Hobart, Tasmania, Australia, 1875 'Family Notices', The Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860 - 1954), 23 April, p. 1. , viewed 22 Nov 2020, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article8936755
- [S728] GEDCOM file created by Donald L. Reid, 17 Feb 2014 (companion to 'Descendents of James MCKENZIE.rtf' p.8).
- [S466] Find a Grave (http://www.findagrave.com) http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi (for note on burial).