James MacKenzie Fooks
#185, (7 December 1780-22 October 1825)
|Father||William Fooks (c 1760-Sep 1844)|
|Mother||Ann Williams MacKenzie (c 1759-Oct 1832)|
|Charts||Barbara Nicholson - ancestors|
|Last Edited||31 Mar 2022|
+ + + + + + + + + +
James was born on Thursday, 7 December 1780 at Melcombe Regis, Weymouth, Dorset.1,2 He was the son of William Fooks and Ann Williams MacKenzie. James MacKenzie Fooks was baptised on Sunday, 7 January 1781 at Wyke Regis, Dorset.3 After an extensive education James made a living as an architect and builder.4
He married Jane Berjew, daughter of Samuel Berjew and Catherine Wiltshire, in a Church of England ceremony on Tuesday, 2 March 1802 at Bradford Abbas, Dorset. He was 21 and his wife Jane was 23. Jane was the daughter of a Rector. The wedding certificate was also signed by Mary Ann Barbara Berjew. Others who may have attended the wedding include Catherine Wiltshire as mother of the bride, Samuel Berjew as father of the bride, Ann Williams MacKenzie as mother of the groom and William Fooks as father of the groom. James and Jane went on to have nine known children together.5,6,7 James and Janelived at 8 St. Thomas Street, Melcombe Regis, Weymouth, Dorset.4
In a land tax document for Weymouth, Dorset, a James Fooks seems to have oiwned a number of properties (although he rented a property from Eliza Friend.)8
On April 28th 1811 their nine day old son, James' name-sake, died. This must have been deeply distressing to James and his deeply religous wife.9 Just nine months later their first daughter Catherine died, whilst Jane was about six months pregnant. When he was born this child, also called James MacKenzie Fooks was to only live eighteen months. Jane was pregnant again soon, but this son, also with the same name, only lived seventeen months. Of their five children so far, only the first two sons were still alive.4 James (and presumably his spouse Jane)lived in 1814 at Melcombe Regis, Weymouth, Dorset.10
James's child James received his baptism on Sunday, 30 January 1814 at Up Cerne, Dorset. His family travelled at least 15 miles - a journey of several hours - so he could be baptised in the church his mother's father was rector of.11,12
James, aged 41 and Jane Berjew, aged 43 became the parents of Rev. Samuel Berjew Fookes on Tuesday, 27 August 1822 at Weymouth, Dorset.1,13 James MacKenzie Fooks was a builder on 30 October 1822.14 James was employed by the Borough as Surveyor at Melcombe Regis, Weymouth, Dorset, on 17 September 1824.15
James died on 22 October 1825 at Weymouth, Dorset, at age 44 of 'a sickness'.1,16,15 His body was interred on 28 October 1825 at Wyke Regis, Dorset.16
|Jane Berjew (26 Dec 1778-15 Apr 1875)|
- [S806] Jane Fookes,"Extract from Jane Fookes' bible," Bible extract, vital dates , n.d.. Currently held by unknown repository, unknown repository address (for date).
- [S533] Forefathers (https://sites.google.com/site/lazarusrobertshistory) https://sites.google.com/site/lazarusrobertshistory/…
- [S463] Family Search (A service provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) (https://familysearch.org) indexing project (batch) number: C02139-4 system origin: England-EASy source film number: 1239262.
- [S274] Grahame R. Fooks, The Fooks Family Records p.3.
- [S574] England Select Marriages, 1530-1973 Ancestry.com, (www.ancestry.com) Name: James Mackense Fooks; Gender: Male; Marriage Date: 2 Mar 1802; Marriage Place: Bradford Abbas, Dorset, England; Spouse: Jane Berjew; FHL Film Number: 1279482.
- [S463] Family Search (A service provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) (https://familysearch.org) Indexing project (batch) number: M15812-1, system origin: England-VR, source film number: 1279482.
- [S806] Jane Fookes,"Extract from Jane Fookes' bible," Bible extract, vital dates , n.d.. Currently held by unknown repository, unknown repository address (for date and place).
- [S1110] England, Dorset, Land Tax Returns, 1780-1811 Ancestry.com, (www.ancestry.com) Tenant: Jas Fooks; Proprietor: Eliza Friend; Year: 1810; Residence: Weymouth; Year Range: 1780-1811; Call Number: Ode (L) 58/1-30.
- [S274] Grahame R. Fooks, The Fooks Family Records p.3, 6.
- [S1170] Dorset, England, Church of England Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906 (www.ancestry.com) Name: James Mackenzie Fooks; Baptism Date: 30 Jan 1814; Baptism Place: Up Cerne, Dorset, England; Search Photos: Search for 'Up Cerne' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection; Father: James Fooks; Mother: Jane Fooks.
- [S1107] England, Select Dorset, Church of England Parish Registers, 1538-1999 Ancestry.com, (www.ancestry.com) Name: James Mackenzie Fooks; Baptism Date: 30 Jan 1814; Baptism place: Up Cerne, Dorset, England; Father: James Fooks
Mother: Jane Fooks.
- [S463] Family Search (A service provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) (https://familysearch.org) Indexing project (batch) number: C02899-7, system origin: England-EASy, source film number: 1279490.
- [S274] Grahame R. Fooks, The Fooks Family Records p.5.
- [S338] Ancestry.com.au Ancestry.com, (http://www.ancestry.com.au/) Dorset History Centre; Dorset Parish Registers; Reference: PE/MCR.
- [S274] Grahame R. Fooks, The Fooks Family Records p.4.
- [S1108] England, Dorset, Parish Registers, 1538-2001 (familysearch) Name: James Margin Fooks [James McKenzie Fooks]; Death Age: 44; Birth Year: abt 1780; Burial Date: 28 Oct 1824; Burial Place: Wyke Regis, Dorset, England.