Jane Maria Murray
#175, (6 September 1850-22 August 1903)
|Father||Kennedy Murray (4 Aug 1799-30 Nov 1860)|
|Mother||Hannah Goodall (28 Feb 1815-27 Nov 1904)|
|Charts||Barbara Nicholson - ancestors|
|Last Edited||12 Jun 2022|
+ + + + + + + + + +
Jane was born on Friday, 6 September 1850 at the small Tasmanian town of Evandale. She was the daughter of Kennedy Murray and Hannah Goodall. Her son, Noel Fooks, recollected (incorrectly) that she was the second-eldest daughter amongst her siblings.1
Her mother died 30 November 1860 at the age of 61. Jane was aged 10 when this happened.
She married Rev. Henry Samuel Cox Fookes, a minister of religion, son of Rev. Samuel Berjew Fookes and Margaret Sarah Westbrook, in a Church of England ceremony on Monday, 22 September 1873 at Waratah, Tasmania. She was 23 and her husband Henry was 25. This marriage between the oldest son of Reverend Samuel Fookes and the oldest daughter of prosperous farmer Kennedy Murray, both well known and respected Tasmanians, was likely to have been of contemporary social significance..2,3,4 Jane Maria Murray was found on a passenger list on the The Steamer 'Derwent' on 17 February 1875 from Melbourne to Launceston, Tasmania.5
She may have attended the wedding of her sister in the marriage of Arthur Alfred Littler and Marianne Goodall Murray in a Presbyterian ceremony conducted by Rev R. S. Duff at Trafalger on Monday, 5 November 1877 at the small Tasmanian town of Evandale. Arthur and Marianne went on to have six known children together.6,7,8,9
Jane, aged 29 and Rev. Henry Samuel Cox Fookes, aged 32 became the parents of Louise Augusta Fookes on Friday, 9 April 1880 at Evandale.10 She presumably lived with her spouse Henry at Waratah, Tasmania, in 1890.11
Jane died on 22 August 1903 at 'Myrtle Vale', in Waratah, Tasmania, at age 52.12 She was buried at Waratah Old Cemetery, in Waratah, Tasmania.13,14
It was said in an obituary that mosrt of the Mount Bischoff Co employees left work early to pay theur respects to this "well known and popular lady."15
|Rev. Henry Samuel Cox Fookes (11 Jan 1848-9 Feb 1924)|
- [S1281] Noel Fooks, manuscript, February 1943 p.1.
- [S273] Tasmania, Marriage Certificate, Registration Place: Launceston, Tasmania, Registration Year: 1873, Registration Number: 434.
- [S810] The Cornwall Chronicle, Launceston, Tasmania, 1873 'Family Notices', The Cornwall Chronicle (Launceston, Tas. : 1835 - 1880), 26 September, p. 2. , viewed 26 Nov 2020, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66024259
- [S728] GEDCOM file created by Donald L. Reid, 17 Feb 2014 (companion to 'Descendents of James MCKENZIE.rtf' p.18).
- [S810] The Cornwall Chronicle, Launceston, Tasmania, 1875 'SHIPPING', The Cornwall Chronicle (Launceston, Tas. : 1835 - 1880), 19 February, p. 2. , viewed 25 Nov 2020, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66074043
- [S809] Australia Marriage Index, 1788-1950, Births, Deaths & Marriages Registration Place: Morven, Tasmania; Registration Year: 1877; Registration Number: 656.
- [S810] The Cornwall Chronicle, Launceston, Tasmania, 26 Nov 1877 p.2.
- [S914] E-mails from Julie Weizenegger to Tim Hill, 2016- 'Charles Littler Ann Summers' - 12 August 2016 at 10:29.
- [S810] The Cornwall Chronicle, Launceston, Tasmania, 1877 'Family Notices', The Cornwall Chronicle (Launceston, Tas. : 1835 - 1880), 12 November, p. 2. , viewed 07 Jan 2020, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66068323
- [S261] Tasmania, Birth Certificate, Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages Morven, 1880 No.1692.
- [S1227] City Directories Australia,Australia (1845-1948), Tasmania PO Directory (Wise) 1890-1891 p.199.
- [S565] The Launceston Examiner, Launceston, Tasmania, Australia, 27 Aug 1903.
- [S477] Australia Cemetery Index, 1808-2007 Ancestry.com, Cemetery: Waratah Old Cemetery, Cemetery Location: Waratah, Burnie, Tasmania.
- [S466] Find a Grave (http://www.findagrave.com) Find a Grave, database and images (https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/114935468/… : accessed 31 March 2022), memorial page for Jane Maria Murray Fooks (6 Sep 1850–22 Aug 1903), Find a Grave Memorial ID 114935468, citing Waratah Pioneer Cemetery, Guildford Junction, Waratah-Wynyard Council, Tasmania, Australia ; Maintained by Donald L Reid (contributor 48130349) .
- [S734] E-mails from Julian Hawley to Tim Hill, 2014- 'Re: Fooks' - 28 September 2014 05:10.
- [S728] GEDCOM file created by Donald L. Reid, 17 Feb 2014 (companion to 'Descendents of James MCKENZIE.rtf' p.19).