Stannifer, New South Wales, the tin mining town of
Stannifer was a small village five miles from Tingha. The area developed as a result of the tin-rush in the the 1870's, and soon became a bustling centre of activity as business inevitably followed the miners. At it's peak in about 1883, there were 7,000 people in the area. However, with the discovery of gold at Georgetown in Queensland, many of the miners moved on. Stannifer was established as a satellite of Tingha, composed mainly of rude slab huts. By 1888 it had two hotels and a school. In time the tin was mined out, and the township disappeared.