"About two miles north-east from Stanstead, in the same hundred (Braughin), stands the pleasant village of Hunsdon, in the parish of its name. From the church, and other positions in the neighbourhood, some beautiful views may be obtained, including the course of the Stort to join the Lea. The church is an ancient edifice, and contains some monuments of remote date; the living is a rectory, in the incumbency of the Rev. Nicholas Calvert; the Rev. Robert Calvert is his curate. Hunsdon House, the residence of Nicholas Calvert, Esq., was in the time of Henry VIII a palace, in which the children of that monarch were educated; and, though much reduced in size, it still preserves a grand and venerable appearance. The parish contains about 600 inhabitants."
[From Royal National and Commercial Directory and Topography of Herts, Pigot & Co., London, 1839]
Olives Farm, Hunsdon, Hertfordshire
Olives Farm is a moated house on the extreme west of the parish. It is of timber and plaster, with tiled roofs, and dates back to the 17th century, though it has considerable later additions.
St. Dunstan's, Hunsdon, Hertfordshire
The church stands close to Hunsdon House, nearly a mile south of the village. The walls are of flint rubble with stone dressings, the south chapel being built of brick. This church possesses some exceptionally good details of fittings of the 16th and 17th centuries.