The city of Hertford dates back to at least 673, and was an important market town surrounded by agricultural land. From the late 16th century, it had access to the London corn markets via the River Lea. When the railway came to town in 1843, it provided an economic boost.
Lady Huntingdon's Connexion, Hertford
This non-conformist church was apparently founded in 1800, and started keeping registers from 1806
Lady Huntingdon's Chapel was one a series of chapels founded in the 18th century by the Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion as part of a Calvinistic movement within the Methodist church. She insisted that they should all subscribe to the doctrines of the Church of England and use only the Book of Common Prayer. It was apparently founded in 1800, and started keeping registers from 1806.
The Back Street Bethel was a Methodist House of God established in 1827 in Back Street (now Railway Street).