Frederick Horrocks Miller
#619, (18 July 1846-July 1932)
|Father||Robert T. Miller (1805-14 Jun 1874)|
|Mother||Mary Fairclough (c 1812-7 Sep 1869)|
|Charts||Fairclough Family - descendants|
NOTE: The information on this page is my research to date and is subject to change as I become better informed. I very much welcome any corrections or additional info you might have - my email address is at the bottom of this page - Tim Hill.
possible photograph of Frederick Horrocks Miller
Fredrick [sic] Horrocks Miller
(Source: M. Willson Collection)
Fredrick [sic] Horrocks Miller
(Source: M. Willson Collection)
+ + + + + + + + + +
Frederick Horrocks Miller was also known as Frederic Miller.1 Frederick was born at 64 North Road on Saturday, 18 July 1846 at Preston, Lancashire.2,3 He was the son of Robert T. Miller and Mary Fairclough. Frederick Horrocks Miller was baptized at St. John on Sunday, 23 August 1846 at Preston, Lancashire.4 He presumably lived with his parents at 135 North Road, Preston, Lancashire, circa October 1850.5
He was recorded as living with his parents and sisters Ann, Lizzie, Emma and Patty in the 1851 census at 13 Great Shaw Street, Preston, Lancashire. He was recorded as being 5 years old.6 Frederick Horrocks Miller was a clerk in a cotton mill at Lancashire.3 He was a warehouseman in September 1867.7 Frederick and Sarah lived in September 1867 at 59 Warwick Street, in Greenheys, Liverpool.7
He married Sarah Rowe, at Manchester Cathedral on Saturday, 21 September 1867 at Manchester.7,8
His mother died 7 September 1869 at the approximate age of 58 years. Frederick was aged 23 when this happened.9
On 11 August 1873 Frederick and his partner Robert Clark dissolved their business partnership in Mill Road, in Everton, Liverpool. They were mat and matting manufacturers, and Robert went it alone.10 In December 1873 Frederick joined in partnership with William Jackson to carry on the business under the name of 'Miller and Jackson'.11
His father died 14 June 1874. Frederick was aged 27 when this happened.12 He arrived at U.S.A.13
He was recorded as head of household in the 1880 census with Sarah Rowe as his spouse at 246 7th Street, Chester, Delaware County, Pennsylvania. He was 33 years old. His age was recorded as 33 years old. Also living with them was their 11 year old son.14 Frederick Horrocks Miller was a mat manufacturer.14
Frederick Horrocks Miller married Rose (?) in 1890.15 Frederick and Rose lived in April 1895 at Indianapolis, Indiana.16
Frederick Horrocks Miller was listed as a lodger in the household of Sarah Swift in the 1900 census at 535 Eastern Avenue, Connersville, Indiana. He was recorded as being 52 years old. His wife was also listed as a lodger in the same place.15 Frederick Horrocks Miller was a carpet manufacturer.15
He was recorded as head of household in the 1910 census with Rose (?) as his spouse at Fort Wayne Avenue, Indianapolis, Indiana. He was 63 years old. As on the census returns to follow, basic information provided on date of immigration and age varied wildly and in this cases his age was recorded as 54 years.17 Frederick Horrocks Miller was an insurance salesman.17
He was recorded as head of household in the 1920 census with Rose (?) as his spouse at 1043 Twelfth Street, Indianapolis, Indiana. He was 73 years old. His age was recorded as 60 years.13 Frederick Horrocks Miller was a manufacturer in a carpet factory.13
He was recorded as head of household in the 1930 census with Rose (?) as his spouse at 1030 North Pennsylvania Street, Indianapolis, Indiana. He was 83 years old. His age was recorded as being 80 years old. They also had two lodgers living with them.18
Frederick died in July 1932 at Indiana.19 His body was interred at Crown Hill Cemetery on 28 July 1932 at Indianapolis, Indiana. He is buried in the same plot as his wife.19
|Rose (?) (c 1871-Sep 1937)|
- [S244] The South Australian Register, 31 May 1895 p.4 for alternate spelling of first name, middle name.
- [S228] General Register Office, England - Birth Certificates, Certified copy of an entry in a Register of Births Preston Registration District, 1846, Sep Qtr., Vol.21, p.638.
- [S398] National Census for England, 1861 (online image) Civil Parish of Cuerden, Registration district Chorley, sub district Leland, peice 3117 folio 93 p.26.
- [S246] Preston Parish Registers - St. John, Baptisms 1845 - 1847, Page 285, Entry 2278.
- [S228] General Register Office, England - Birth Certificates, Certified copy of an entry in a Register of Births 1850, Preston district, Preston sub-district, No.499.
- [S392] National Census for England, 1851 (online image) Parish of Preston, Ecclesiastical District of Holy Trinity Church, Borough of Preston p.488.
- [S758] Manchester, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1930 (Cathedral) (www.ancestry.com) Marriage Date: 21 Sep 1867; Parish: Manchester, St Mary, St Denys and St George; Father's Name: Robert Miller; Archive Roll: 735.
- [S538] The Preston Chronicle, 28 Sep 1867 p.5.
- [S400] General Register Office, England - Death Certificates, Certified copy of an entry in a Register of Deaths Chorlton Registration District, 1869, Sep Qtr., Vol.8c, p.460.
- [S784] The London Gazette, 15 Aug. 1873 p.3840.
- [S827] The London Standard, Friday 05 December 1873 p.1.
- [S400] General Register Office, England - Death Certificates, Certified copy of an entry in a Register of Deaths Preston Registration District, 1874, Jun Qtr., Vol.8e, p.442.
- [S745] Federal Census for United States 1920 (online image) Census Place: Indianapolis Ward 8, Marion, Indiana; Roll: T625_453; Page: 6A; Enumeration District: 144; Image: 456.
- [S783] Federal Census for United States 1880 (online image) Census Place: Chester, Delaware, Pennsylvania; Roll: 1126; Family History Film: 1255126; Page: 442D; Enumeration District: 023; Image: 0496.
- [S705] Federal Census for United States 1900 (online image) Census Place: Connersville, Fayette, Indiana; Roll: 370; Page: 2A; Enumeration District: 0005; FHL microfilm: 1240370.
- [S737] The Pittston Gazette, 26 April 1895 p.3.
- [S707] Federal Census for United States 1910 (online image) Census Place: Indianapolis Ward 7, Marion, Indiana; Roll: T624_368; Page: 5A; Enumeration District: 0126; FHL microfilm: 1374381.
- [S747] Federal Census for United States 1930 (online image) Census Place: Indianapolis, Marion, Indiana; Roll: 611; Page: 6A; Enumeration District: 0112; Image: 862.0; FHL microfilm: 2340346.
- [S466] Find a Grave (http://www.findagrave.com) Note: burial: JUL 28,1932; Burial: Crown Hill Cemetery, Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana, USA; Plot: Sec: 37, Lot: 366.
- [S244] The South Australian Register, 31 May 1895 p.4.