#601, (circa 1777-January 1821)
|Father||Samuel Aylott2 (26 Dec 1737-1795)|
|Mother||Jane Campkin1 (c 1740-)|
|Charts||Aylott Family - descendants|
Darby Family - descendants
Mike Hill - ancestors
Descendents of Richard Darby
(For a brief history and context on the Darby family - which this person is an extended member of - see this page)
a reconstruction of Elizabeth Aylott's signature on her marriage cerificate, 1800
Photograph by Tim
NOTE: The information on this page is my research to date and is subject to change as I become better informed. I very much welcome any corrections or additional info you might have - my email address is at the bottom of this page - Tim Hill.
+ + + + + + + + + +
Elizabeth was born circa 1777.2 She was the daughter of Samuel Aylott and Jane Campkin.1,2 Elizabeth Aylott was baptized at All Saints and Saint John on Friday, 23 October 1778 at Hertford.2 All Saints church was built in the 15th century with a cruciform plan and a west tower. However, it burnt down in 1891.
The city of Hertford dates back to at least 673, and was an important market town surrounded by agricultural land. From the late 16th century, it had access to the London corn markets via the River Lea.
Whilst neither of Elizabeth's parents could sign their name, Elizabeth could.3,4
She married George Darby, a millwright and builder, son of Richard Darby and Anne Brett, at All Saints and Saint John on Tuesday, 22 April 1800 at Hertford. Witnesses to the wedding were Thomas Darby and Elizabeth Darby.5 Elizabeth and George Darby became the parents of their first child George Darby circa 1800. He was the first of about a dozen children born to George and Elizabeth over the next 19 years.6 From the birth of Eliza, their third child, all their subsequent children were baptised at Lady Huntingdon's Connexion, Hertford.Lady Huntingdon's Chapel was one a series of chapels founded in the 18th century by the Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion as part of a Calvinistic movement within the Methodist church. She insisted that they should all subscribe to the doctrines of the Church of England and use only the Book of Common Prayer. It was apparently founded in 1800, and started keeping registers from 1806.
Elizabeth and George Darby became the parents of their last child John Darby circa 1819 at Hertford.7
On 19 December 1819 her son George died at the approximate age of 19.
Elizabeth died in January 1821. She died leaving her husband a widower with 11 children.6 She was buried on 11 January 1821 at St. Andrew's Parish Church, Hertford.6 St. Andrews was a church of Saxon origin, and was added to until the mid 18th century to accomodate a growing population. By this stage it had deteriorated to such a degree that it was torn down and a new church built in 1870.
|George Darby (c 1779-4 Mar 1853)|
- [S462] BDMRegisters.co.uk (http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk) St Andrews, Hertfordshire (RG4 / Piece _1367 / Folio 4).
- [S463] Family Search (A service provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) (https://familysearch.org) Batch Number:C07242-3 Film Number:991379.
- [S463] Family Search (A service provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) (https://familysearch.org) Hertford All Saints and St. John Batch/Film M072421, Serial/Sheet 0849.
- [S463] Family Search (A service provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) (https://familysearch.org) Hertford All Saints and St. John Batch Number:C07242-3 Film Number:991379.
- [S463] Family Search (A service provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) (https://familysearch.org) England Marriages, 1538–1973 ," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N2T9-N5W : accessed 23 May 2014), George Darby and Elizabeth Aylott, 22 Apr 1800; citing All Saints And Saint John,Hertford,Hertford,England, reference ; FHL microfilm 991313.
- [S549] E-mails from Eve Mintern to Tim Hill, 2012- 22 Aug 2012.
- [S541] The Hertford Mercury and Reformer, 'Deaths' 09 Jul 1853.
- [S463] Family Search (A service provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) (https://familysearch.org) Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C07243-7,Source Film Number: 991381, Reference Number: v 5.