#514, (19 February 1872-25 January 1960)
|Father||Hugh Joseph Sutherland (4 Aug 1841-21 Aug 1913)|
|Mother||Margaret Nicholson (c 1845-10 Aug 1883)|
+ + + + + + + + + +
Hughena was born on Monday, 19 February 1872 at Parkes, New South Wales. She was apparently the first white child born at Parkes, and god-daughter of Sir Henry Parkes.1,2,3 She was the daughter of Hugh Joseph Sutherland and Margaret Nicholson. Hughena Grace Sutherland was also known as Ena.4
Her mother died 10 August 1883. Hughena was aged 11 when this happened.5
She married John Hunter, on Thursday, 28 July 1892 at Cobar, New South Wales.6,2 Hughena Grace Sutherland and John Hunter were divorced in March 1913 Four months previously, John had tried to divorce Hughena on the grounds of 'misconduct' with a Patrick Manus but this was dismissed. Hughena's petition against John was granted 'on the grounds of habitual cruelty, drunkenness and desertion'.
"Mrs. Hunter ... said that she and her husband for some time lived in a number of different Hotels and boarding houses. Her husband was frequently intoxicated, and had threatened to kill her. He had kept a pair of firetongs under his pillow on one occasion, with which he threatened to "do" for her. At another time he had a razor under his pillow. He had seized her by the throat, and torn her nightclothes from her. In 1906 she took an hotel at Wrightville, near Cobar, but her husband again drank heavily. At times, however, he was able to pull himself together, but he would again take to liquor. Twice he went across to New Zealand, and on one occasion was ill in the Cobar Hospital. Finally, witness gave up the hotel, and took a position as a housemaid."7,8Hughena Grace Sutherland was very unfortunate in that both her sons were killed in the Great War, one in Gallipoli in 1915, the other in 1918 in 1918.9 Hughena lived in 1938 at at 'The Cairo' MacLeay St in the Sydney suburb of Potts Point. 'The Cairo' was a home for returned soldiers which she ran.2
Hughena died on 25 January 1960 at Sydney at age 87.10,2
Children of Hughena Grace Sutherland and John Hunter
|Last Edited||20 Jul 2013|
|Charts||Brown family - descendants|
Miller Family (Scotland) - descendants
Nicholson Family 1 - descendants
- [S2] NSW Death Certificate, Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages 1883 No. 6175.
- [S544] E-mails from Kate Lindsay to Tim Hill, June 2012 Sutherland spreadsheet 18 June 2012.
- [S628] The Australian Women's Weekly, 1954 'BUILT ON GOLD... COUNTRY TOWN'S GALA WEEK.', The Australian Women's Weekly (1933 - 1982), 31 March, p. 4, viewed 16 May, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article51938533
- [S629] E-mails from Jason Crosskey to Tim Hill, 2013- 'Ancestry' - 16 May 2013 11:02.
- [S2] NSW Death Certificate, Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages 1883 No.6175.
- [S3] NSW Marriage Certificate, Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages 1892 No.3138 (Index only).
- [S268] The Sydney Morning Herald, 1913 'DIVORCE COURT.', The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954), 11 March, p. 5, viewed 16 May, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article15403998
- [S268] The Sydney Morning Herald, 1912 'IN DIVORCE.', The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954), 20 December, p. 4, viewed 16 May, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article15384622
- [S452] Private Nicholson Source, Genealogical Notes, unknown date NIC001 p.26.
- [S452] Private Nicholson Source, Genealogical Notes, unknown date NIC001 p.13.
- [S452] Private Nicholson Source, Genealogical Notes, unknown date NIC001 p.25.