Mary Ann Cannon1
#248, (1819-6 September 1885)
+ + + + + + + + + +
(For a brief history and context on the Bourke family see this page)
Mary Ann Cannon was likely born in 1819 at County Tipperary.1,2
She married Patrick Bourke, in 1842 at Galway, Ireland. However, there is some evidence to suggest they were married in Tipperary.3
Mary and her husband Patrick emmigrated with their daughter from Cork circa 7 November 1843 on the "Royal Consort" with their daughter. Some of the passengers on the Royal Consort seem have come from the Burhampooter which was shipwrecked - were Patrick and his family amongst these?4,5 At this time her occupation was given as a housemaid.4 After a voyage of 103 days Mary and her husband Patrick arrived at Port Phillip, Victoria, on 18 February 1844.4,5
Mary and Patrick Bourke became the parents of Michael Bourke on Wednesday, 23 June 1847 at Melbourne.6 Mary's child an unknown person received an unknown person baptism at St. Francis' on Monday, 12 July 1847 at Melbourne . He was batised in a Roman Catholic ceremony. St. Francis' Church had only recently been constructed.6 Mary's child an unknown person received an unknown person baptism on Monday, 17 September 1849 at Melbourne . he was baptised in a Roman Catholic ceremony.7 Mary's child Mary received her baptism at St. Francis' on Monday, 23 June 1851 at Melbourne.8 On May 1883 people with the same names as Michael Bourke and James Bourke from the Emmaville district gave money to the Irish National League - perhaps it was this family.9
No further details of her life are known until the time of her death.
Mary died on 6 September 1885 at The Cricketer's Arms Hotel, in Emmaville, New South Wales, of pneumonia. This hotel was owned by her son, and other of her members lived in neighbouring towns.10,1 She was buried at Emmaville cemetery, in Emmaville, New South Wales.2,11
Children of Mary Ann Cannon and Patrick Bourke
|Last Edited||14 Aug 2014|
|Charts||Bourke family - descendants|
Mike Hill - ancestors
Descendents of Patrick Bourke
- [S2] NSW Death Certificate, Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages 1885 No. 09904.
- [S477] Website Australia Cemetery Index, 1808-2007 Ancestry.com, http://austcemindex.com/inscription.php?id=8040290
- [S8] Victoria, Birth Certificate, Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages 1856 No. 474.
- [S47] Patrick Bourke & family, "Royal Consort" ships passenger list.
- [S612] The Australian, 1844 'THE LOSS OF THE EMIGRANT SHIP "BURHAMPOOTER.".', The Australian (Sydney, NSW : 1824 - 1848), 13 February, p. 3, viewed 9 April, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article37125337
- [S258] Parish Registers - Parish of Melbourne, 1847 No. 41,600.
- [S258] Parish Registers - Parish of Melbourne, 1949 No. 42,887.
- [S258] Parish Registers - Parish of Melbourne, 1851 No. 5693.
- [S674] Freeman's Journal, 1883 'Advertising.', Freeman's Journal (Sydney, NSW : 1850 - 1932), 19 May, p. 11, viewed 28 September, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article110556742
- [S268] The Sydney Morning Herald, 11th Sep 1885 p.1.
- [S466] Website Find a Grave (http://www.findagrave.com) Memorial# 85112338.