Rowland Hugh Argyle Bourke1
#20, (5 May 1915-9 October 1942)
|Father||Donald Hugh Aloysius Bourke (10 Feb 1877-2 Jun 1941)|
|Mother||Ivy Pearl Owens (23 Nov 1889-12 Sep 1959)|
+ + + + + + + + + +
Rowland was born on Wednesday, 5 May 1915 at Brisbane.2 He was the son of Donald Hugh Aloysius Bourke and Ivy Pearl Owens. His common name was Dooley. He presumably moved with his parents to Melbourne in October 1917.3 By this time they had also had the telephone connected at home (Manly 327), as had the Hill's next door.4 Rowland and Ivy lived in September 1939 at at 61 Greenknowe Flats in Greenknowe Avenue in the Sydney suburb of Potts Point.5 Rowland served in the 3 Coy. 2/1 Battalion 2nd AIF circa October 1939 at Ingleburn Army Camp, in Ingleburn, New South Wales.6
At age 24 he made a will on 2 January 1940 at Ingleburn, New South Wales. He left everything to his mother, but in the event she had died, everything was to go to his sister. His brother Donald Owen Nicholson Bourke was named as the sole executor.5
His father died 2 June 1941 at the age of 64. Rowland was aged 26 when this happened.7 Rowland was on active duty 3 Coy, 2/1 Battalion 2nd AIF in 1941 at the Middle East. A newspaper article, perhaps written by his father, describes an action that he was involved in..8,5 He was promoted to Sergeant on 28 August 1942 .9
Rowland died on 9 October 1942 at age 27. He died on active service with the AIF, reportedly of 'illness'. His name is listed on the AIF 2/1 Australian Infantry Battalion Roll of Honor Board in Manly.10,11 His body was interred at Port Moresby (Bomana) War Cemetery at Port Moresby, New Guinea. Plot: B1. B. 19..12 He was still recorded on the electoral role in 1943 and 1949 at at 2 Greenknowe Avenue in the Sydney suburb of Potts Point.13,14
Rowland's will was probated on 12 February 1943. At Supreme Court of NSW, in Sydney, with a value of £1055/3/0d.5
|Last Edited||17 Oct 2014|
|Charts||Bourke family - descendants|
Brown family - descendants
Miller Family (Scotland) - descendants
Nicholson Family 1 - descendants
Descendents of Patrick Bourke
- [S613] Michael Watt, Descendents of Daniel Brown, April 2013 p.50 (for second middle name).
- [S72] Interview with Bill & Leila Bourke, Black Rock.
- [S668] The Sunday Times [Sydney], 1917 'HOME and SOCIETY.', Sunday Times (Sydney, NSW : 1895 - 1930), 14 October, p. 18, viewed 24 September, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article122797840
- [S217] White Pages Telstra Corporation Ltd., all areas of Australia, October 1925.
- [S4] Supreme Court of NSW - Probate and Administration, Rowland Bourke, No.276073 Series 4.
- [S1] NSW Birth Certificate, Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages.
- [S268] The Sydney Morning Herald, 1942 'Family Notices.', The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954), 28 August, p. 10, viewed 24 September, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article17802232
- [S55] "Zero Hour", Smith's Weekly (?).
- [S268] The Sydney Morning Herald, 28 Aug. 1942 p.10.
- [S4] Supreme Court of NSW - Probate and Administration, Rowland Bourke No.276073 Series 4.
- [S613] Michael Watt, Descendents of Daniel Brown, April 2013 p.50.
- [S466] Website Find a Grave (http://www.findagrave.com) http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi
- [S338] Website Ancestry.com.au (http://www.ancestry.com.au/) Australian Electoral Rolls, 1903-1980 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2010. District of East Sydney, Subdistrict of Darlinghurst (1949).
- [S338] Website Ancestry.com.au (http://www.ancestry.com.au/) Australian Electoral Rolls, 1903-1980 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2010. District of Blaxland, Subdistrict of Lidcombe South (1943).