#171, (23 September 1897-26 November 1979)
|Father||Charles Henry Oaten (1866-12 Apr 1951)|
|Mother||Catherine Carroll (27 Sep 1866-6 Oct 1901)|
+ + + + + + + + + +
Margaret was born on Thursday, 23 September 1897 at the Melbourne suburb of Clifton Hill.1,2 She was the daughter of Charles Henry Oaten and Catherine Carroll. Her common name was Maggie.
Her mother died 6 October 1901 at the age of 35. Margaret was aged 4 when this happened.
After the death of their mother, Lydia, Kate and Margaret went to live with the nuns in an Abbotsford convent (most likely Sisters of the Good Shepard) in about 1901. Their brothers went to a Catholic boys home in South Melbourne (probably St. Vincents de Paul), whilst the youngest daughter Alice initially went to live with neighbours until she was four.3
Maggie was apparently returned to care between 1911 and 1915.2
She married George Norwood, son of Thomas Norwood and Elizabeth Holligan, in 1918.4 Margaret and George lived in 1924 at at 108 Gipps Street in the Melbourne suburb of Collingwood.5 Margaret Mary Oaten was recorded as engaged with home duties in 1936.6 Margaret and George lived in 1936 at at 99 Henty Street in the Melbourne suburb of Preston.6
Her father died 12 April 1951 at the approximate age of 85. Margaret was aged 53 when this happened.
Margaret died on 26 November 1979 at the Melbourne suburb of Preston at age 82.2
Children of Margaret Mary Oaten and George Norwood
|Last Edited||9 Jun 2014|
|Charts||Oaten Family - descendants|
- [S8] Victoria, Birth Certificate, Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages 1897 No.27089.
- [S338] Website Ancestry.com.au (http://www.ancestry.com.au/) http://trees.ancestry.com.au/tree/43539742/person/…
- [S267] Letter from Pat Lyon, to Tim Hill.
- [S264] Victoria, Marriage Certificate, Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages 1918 No.5235.
- [S483] Australia - Electoral Rolls 1900-1980, Division of Yarra, Sub-Division of Barkly Ward 1924 p.37.
- [S483] Australia - Electoral Rolls 1900-1980, Division of Batman, Sub-Division of Preston 1936 p.218.